1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DBS question

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by AndyPandy99, Mar 19, 2016.

1. AndyPandy99

AndyPandy99 New commenter

I'm another one leaving teaching after 20+ years and my DBS will expire at the same time. I will be doing some part time tutoring with a small company and I'm not sure what happens about my DBS check. Will I be able to use the DBS update service and do I apply independently or does this have to be done through the tutoring company?

2. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

3. cararol

cararol New commenter

I've been through this recently. You can't dbs yourself so get the tutoring company to do it. Once you recieve it you can put it on the DBS update service yourself. Do it promptly as there is only a short window, it's £13 annually and if you register a payment card it will update automatically each year.

AndyPandy99 and cwilson1983 like this.
  4. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

Sorry, I accidentally posted before adding a message.

If you're going to be working via an agency they will probably do the DBS for you (and charge you for the pleasure, naturally). I had a similar experience when I had to do supply teaching for a while a few years ago. I suppose you could look into paying for a DBS yourself-it may or may not be cheaper.

Re: umbrella companies (they're mentioned in the link above), be very cautious about receiving payment of wages via a third party or 'umbrella company'. Again, from my own experience the advertised tax relief on expenses they offer you is not worth the fee they charge. it's better to request payment via PAYE.

AndyPandy99 likes this.
  5. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

DBS doesn't expire. So why do you need a new one?

6. AndyPandy99

AndyPandy99 New commenter

I was told by my current Head that it didn't matter about it expiring if I stayed at the school but if I moved to a new job it wouldn't be transferable. I've just checked and it was renewed in September 2012 so almost 4 years ago but as I'm still at the same school it isn't a problem. If I work for the tutoring agency (which is a small company) I'm not sure it still covers me. I also have an up to date enhanced DBS which covers me to work with children at my church but I'm not sure if this one would cover me whilst tutoring!