1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DBS "Position applied for" while on PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Bowshock, Jul 16, 2015.

1. As I'm about to start on my PGCE the university have asked me to fill out a DBS application. Part of that asks for the "Position applied for". What would that be? I can't put "teacher" as I'm not, yet. I can't put "student" as most of the time I will be in school so student would be misleading.

Last two times I needed one of these it was handled for me by the organisation so they would have known what they wanted, but this time the University want me to do it myself.

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Trainee teacher?

3. Mine says Trainee Teacher on it.

Are you completing the paper form ? and if so if this a is on the back page it should be filled in by the organisation and the person checking your DBS form.

4. No, it's online and it's the first time I've ever had to do this bit rather than the organisation doing it. The DBS notes suggest they get extremely picky over position titles (no abbreviations, no generalisations, must relate to the positions responsibilities etc.)

In the end I went with "trainee teacher". If they need anything else then I'll redo the entire thing when I got to do the document check at the University.

One oddity is that I already have a DBS clearance through the same university for some volunteer work but in that case they did everything and came up with a convoluted and highly specific name for the position.

5. Well it turns out they are extremely picky and it gets rejected for being a "trainee teacher". Apparently in capita's world there is no such thing as a trainee teacher at the university to which I will be going. However there is the entirely different and not a synoym in any way "student teacher".