1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DBS for working abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mabdul, Mar 30, 2016.

1. mabdul

mabdul New commenter

Hi, can anyone advise me on what to do about providing a dbs to an employer in the middle east?

Do I apply for my own Dbs or a International Child Protection Certificate?

Any help is appreciated

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

If you already have a school, then ask them. If not, then i would go for the cheapest, and easiest one to get. Both are pretty much not worth the paper they are written on anyway, and is more than likely just a paperwork exercise. I would be amazed if the Middle East has any laws covering this, and i would guess its just a "box ticking" exercise by any school that asks for one. My last one cost me £3 to get, and took a day to do.... it only took that long as they had to tranlate it into English.

3. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

I think Saudi Arabia use the ACRO police certificate which you can get online yourself. They may just want to check and see a current DBS that you have. They can't apply for a DBS if they are overseas only an ICPC. The question is wHy are Brits subject to DBS checks and ICPCs for posts abroad when natives in those countries don't have to have such high screening. EVerywhere else except USA, UK, Aussie and NZ just use basic criminal checks. Some countries like Korea, China and Taiwan don;t need enhanced checks, a basic disclosure or ACRO certificate is good enough. Some international schools will want to see your current DBS check though as their way of screening you.

4. mabdul

mabdul New commenter

5. mabdul

mabdul New commenter

Thanks for the replies guys, I was wondering which reliable websites can I use to get a cheap dbs done?

The government website directs me to a Scotish check which costs £25

6. musikteech

Depends if they want to see an enhanced DBS check or not You'd best ask them before spending £25 on a basic check. Disclosure Scotland is the website I used to get my basic check. You will need your electricity account number which you can get by phoning EON. Check first which kind of check they want. If it's Saudi, it has to be an ACRO not a disclosure Scotland apparently.

7. dumbbells66

I wouldnt expect much consistancy with this kind of thing around the world. Its not even consistantly done across Europe. I can not help you with doing it in the UK, but i can tell you it is pretty easy and painless once you are out.... and surprisingly cheap. I would advise though never leaving a country without getting these done first. I have had friends try and do it once they left and have had a hell of a time getting it sorted.

8. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Individuals are not allowed to apply for their own enhanced DBS you have to get an employer or potential employer (within UK I believe) to apply for you. You can get the Disclosure Scotland one (which is not enhanced) yourself, or the police check. If you are in a position where you can get an enhanced DBS done, you can now join the 'updating' service once you have it which costs £13 a year and you can give the details to whoever you like to check it as far as I understand it though the site does keep a record of everyone checking so it might be that it has to be a genuine, legal check.

9. musikteech

Do international schools accept disclosure scotland basic checks then? A lot of them ask for a DBS check (which I think they mean they just want to check a current one you have not process a new one which they can't do) or an ICPC. Other schools may take a basic disclosure but I'm not sure.

10. dumbbells66

They just ask for a "police check". I have them written in Spanish, Ukrainian and Lao. I have only ever had to have one translated into English. Like i said earlier, a lot of this is either a visa related issue, or a box checking exercise... child protection laws are not universal.

11. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

A lot of people don't really understand CRB/DBS. Ive seen people in the UK advertising for cleaners in their homes wanting applicants to have enhanced checks without a clue that individuals cannot apply for them. I would suspect many foreign schools fall in to the same category and don't really know the difference between those and a police check.

12. musikteech

well I asked an international school in switzerland what they meant by a DBS check as they wouldn't be able to process one in the UK and they said they held a review at the school following my email to revise their screening. I just told them to look at the ACRO police website. I've seen job adverts on TES asking for DBS checks and/or ICPCs. It seems that schools who advertise on TES want to see a current DBS check that a UK teacher has or an ICPC application. They may only take cleaners who actually have an enhanced check then. How they get one though I don't know. Revans66 we are talking about police checks for UK teachers wanting to teach overseas not foreign teachers needing to get checks from their own countries to teach in the UK. Why doyou have so many foreign police checks if you're British. If you're British, you need to get a police check from your own country don't you?

13. musikteech

I forgot, a language school in Italy recently offered me a job which I didn't take in the end, and it stated in the contract that the job was depending on an up-to-date DBS check. So, I'm guessing they wanted to see a current DBS check that's all. They were affiliated with a UK company so perhaps that'show they would get their checks done. i don;t know exactly as I didn't take the job.

14. dumbbells66

I cant get one in the UK, i've not lived there for nearly 10years. Schools just want one from the country you have been living in, hence my different language ones.

15. musikteech

That's interesting then. It means you are not screened in an enhanced way as in the UK, because foreign checks wouldn't give soft information or check the list 99. They probably just check you don't have a criminal record in that particular country, similar to a basic check in the UK.

16. dumbbells66

Yep exactly. I did have originally a UK one when i left

17. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

Do you provide the police check after the interview usually? I've read that to get an ICPC you need a letter of employment from the school.

I've got an interview and I'm not sure whether they'll want to see an up to date police check on the day....the one I've got is a little old as I've been at my school for quite a while!

18. docHolliday

docHolliday New commenter

To get even a Basic disclosure you should be resident in the UK. However there are agencies that can get one for you though they charge a fair bit. The ICPC should be cheaper to obtain but you need a firm written job offer from a school to apply and it is not transferable to other jobs.