1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DBS etc new to supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by wyonamason, Nov 18, 2017.

1. wyonamason

wyonamason New commenter

I have finally got around to applying for supply work and would be grateful for any advice from those with experience, as I have none.

20 Years experience teaching English in secondary school. Left in September with a CA. Looking for work in Greater London. Only looking for day to day at the moment as I am going travelling in January.

I have done some research, but still have many questions, the most pressing of which is DBS. My understanding is that any agencies I register with will have to obtain some notification that I am 'clear,' from the DBS, and that this is not included or implied in the 'reference' from my previous school.

My understanding is that either the agency applies for this, which may take some time.

Or that I can 'update' this myself, which might speed matters up. I've had a look at the GOV.UK/ DBS update service website which appears to suggest that I have to give an 'application reference number (the "form ref" on your application form).' I have no idea what this is.

I tried the telephone only to be told that 'there was no sales adviser available at present,' which threw me a bit. Surely these people are not on commission of some sort?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hello wyonamason and welcome to the forum.

Your first step is to read the thread "New to Supply" pinned at the top of the Supply Forum as there is a lot of information you might be interested in and which will help answer some of your questions. As regards the DBS check, this is what you need to know:

1. You will need to ask one of the agencies you want to register with to apply for a DBS Certificate for you. You cannot apply for one yourself. The agency will give you a DBS Application Form to complete. You then provide the agency with two forms of ID and various other documents including proof of address and NI details. They will tell you exactly what is required. You also have to pay the fee which is anything from £44.00 up to £52.00. This is the first step.

2. The agency will send off the details to the DBS Service. Once you are cleared, the DBS Service will send you your Certificate. You then have around 14 days to join the DBS Update Service and pay a sum of £13.00. If you pay that sum yearly, you remain on the update service. You still have to keep the original certificate somewhere safe since schools may ask to see the original certificate.

Once you have your certificate and join the update service then you don't have to reapply as long as you pay the £13.00 each year. From the update service schools and agencies can check your DBS.

Any agencies you register should explain the process to you and it will take some time for you to get it back once you apply.

If you have any other questions that you can't find the answer to, don't hesitate to ask.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

January is a long time away. I seem to be stuck in medium/long-term and should be at the same school until Christmas. Point is that such gigs are usually better paid and of course more consistent than day-to-day so why not go with that.

I have a clear moral obligation to stay with the school until then but realistically it's down to the fact that I'm being paid top-rate and not been dumped on much. Should either of those cease to happen then I'm not sure about this 'moral obligation'. Not that the school will feel morally obliged if someone cheaper rocks up (already happened once this year, maybe more but more subtle in that case).

pepper5 likes this.