1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

DBS etc new to supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by wyonamason, Nov 18, 2017.

  1. wyonamason

    wyonamason New commenter

    I have finally got around to applying for supply work and would be grateful for any advice from those with experience, as I have none.

    20 Years experience teaching English in secondary school. Left in September with a CA. Looking for work in Greater London. Only looking for day to day at the moment as I am going travelling in January.

    I have done some research, but still have many questions, the most pressing of which is DBS. My understanding is that any agencies I register with will have to obtain some notification that I am 'clear,' from the DBS, and that this is not included or implied in the 'reference' from my previous school.

    My understanding is that either the agency applies for this, which may take some time.

    Or that I can 'update' this myself, which might speed matters up. I've had a look at the GOV.UK/ DBS update service website which appears to suggest that I have to give an 'application reference number (the "form ref" on your application form).' I have no idea what this is.

    I tried the telephone only to be told that 'there was no sales adviser available at present,' which threw me a bit. Surely these people are not on commission of some sort?
    pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

    pepper5 Star commenter

    Hello wyonamason and welcome to the forum.

    Your first step is to read the thread "New to Supply" pinned at the top of the Supply Forum as there is a lot of information you might be interested in and which will help answer some of your questions. As regards the DBS check, this is what you need to know:

    1. You will need to ask one of the agencies you want to register with to apply for a DBS Certificate for you. You cannot apply for one yourself. The agency will give you a DBS Application Form to complete. You then provide the agency with two forms of ID and various other documents including proof of address and NI details. They will tell you exactly what is required. You also have to pay the fee which is anything from £44.00 up to £52.00. This is the first step.

    2. The agency will send off the details to the DBS Service. Once you are cleared, the DBS Service will send you your Certificate. You then have around 14 days to join the DBS Update Service and pay a sum of £13.00. If you pay that sum yearly, you remain on the update service. You still have to keep the original certificate somewhere safe since schools may ask to see the original certificate.

    Once you have your certificate and join the update service then you don't have to reapply as long as you pay the £13.00 each year. From the update service schools and agencies can check your DBS.

    Any agencies you register should explain the process to you and it will take some time for you to get it back once you apply.

    If you have any other questions that you can't find the answer to, don't hesitate to ask.
    JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

    JohnJCazorla Star commenter

    January is a long time away. I seem to be stuck in medium/long-term and should be at the same school until Christmas. Point is that such gigs are usually better paid and of course more consistent than day-to-day so why not go with that.

    I have a clear moral obligation to stay with the school until then but realistically it's down to the fact that I'm being paid top-rate and not been dumped on much. Should either of those cease to happen then I'm not sure about this 'moral obligation'. Not that the school will feel morally obliged if someone cheaper rocks up (already happened once this year, maybe more but more subtle in that case).
    pepper5 likes this.
  4. estabridislore

    estabridislore New commenter

    Morning, I got a question regarding this. I am trying to get supply work and yes I was thinking of getting my own DBS by the way you mentioned but my question is, does it mean that if I get it using agency A, do I have to get ‘another’ DBS if at the same time I sign with agency B? (As at first when you get into the gov page they ask you the login details of the agency?). Hope you can clarify me this. Thank you
    pepper5 likes this.
  5. 50sman

    50sman Lead commenter

    You cannot get a DBS by applying for it yourself. It has to be done by an agency or a school. They will charge you for thins - should be a the same flat fee but won’t be.
    Once you have your DBS you have only 10 days to register it on the update service - this costs around £15 and has to be paid every year. If not your DBS is invalid.

    If you do not put it on update service you need a separate DBS for each agency
    agathamorse likes this.
  6. estabridislore

    estabridislore New commenter

    Thank you for the info but I am going more for the question about that I want to sign with more than 1 agency at a time and if so, does it mean that I will have to get 1 DBS for each agency? As yes is £53 for the dbs and then £13 for renewing it every year. I would like to sign with 2 more supply agencies at a time. Thanks
  7. 50sman

    50sman Lead commenter

    You apply to one agency and wait for dbs (you can’t work without one)
    Once you have dbs you put it on update service, get reference number instantly and register with other agencies using this reference and the original dbs
  8. blazer

    blazer Star commenter

    Some agencies charge the fee up front, others may deduct it from pay they give you once you find work. Once you have the DBS (don't want to worry you but mine took 18 weeks to go through and only got accelerated because my MP started chasing) then withing a couple of weeks you must sign up to the update service (£13 per year) so that it stays current. Once you have the certificate put it in an envelope of poly pocket as it ill get dog eared with all the showing it to schools. You will also need either a passport or photo driving licence to go with it when you turn up at a new school. Good luck
    agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  9. estabridislore

    estabridislore New commenter

    Thank you
  10. estabridislore

    estabridislore New commenter

    I thought I needed to pay a dbs for each agency. More relieved now if I only have to pay the full fee first and only the yearly £13
  11. peakster

    peakster Star commenter

    Don't forget to put it on the update service like I did.
    agathamorse likes this.
  12. 50sman

    50sman Lead commenter

    Yes - you only have 10 days to put it in the update service - after that you have to pay the full fee for another one if you want to work for a different agency or when it runs out

    the dbs do not stress thus 10 day rule enough!
    agathamorse likes this.
  13. Rott Weiler

    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

    It looks from this page that it's changed to 30 days from the date the DBS certificate was issued. But the sooner the better even if they do allow a bit longer now.

    agathamorse likes this.
  14. 50sman

    50sman Lead commenter

    Good - glad it is longer than it used to be but the consequences of not doing it need highlighting more
    agathamorse likes this.
  15. TheOracleAtDelphi

    TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

    Yes, also the fact that if you are on the DVS update service you have to manually add a new DBS check - my fault completely but I had naively assumed it would be automatically linked...
    agathamorse likes this.

Share This Page