1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DBS checks

Discussion in 'Personal' started by msmuse, Jan 22, 2016.

1. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

Hello all,

Is it possible to get a DBS check personally, without going via an employer? My daughter wants to help out in schools to get experience, and my son needs to get one too - for his role teaching Singing for the Brain. We have all looked online and it reads to me that an employer has to source the form and get the employee to fill it in? This doesn't make sense to me! Thanks to anyone who knows anything about this and can shine any light on it.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

This was certainly the case when I last submitted a form a few months ago. I volunteered for a charity and on of my admin jobs was to chase these up.

No, you can't just apply on your own behalf. The employer or voluntary organisation makes the application. As far as I recall you can pay a little extra to make that data accessible to other organisations to whom you might be applying. Otherwise there can be a lot of duplication/expense.

But no. You don't just do it yourself.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Be prepared for it take months...

My latest took 2 months. Police forces are undermanned with backroom staff cut back so they aren't prioritising. I did it through my employer.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Only employers can apply for DBS checks - if your son is self-employed he can't apply for one.

Provided you work under the direct supervision of somebody who does require a DBS and you are not in the school very often (I think 3 days a month or less) then you are ineligible for a DBS anyway.

Mrs MSB and I offer one-off workshops to schools on a self-employed basis with the class teacher in the room. We're never in any school for more than two days in any single month, and thus are not eligible for DBS checks. We've been asked a couple of times for DBS documents (usually as a knee-jerk procedure on signing in) and when we've clarified the situation there's been no problem. Some schools aren't yet up to steam on the new legislation and just assume everybody's got one.

I'm less certain about your daughter's situation. I'd suggest contacting the school's designated Child Protection Officer to see what (if anything) is required.

msmuse likes this.
  5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I filled one in online and came a cropper because there were insufficient spaces for the number of addresses I'd had in the last five years. It won't let you go back and change hinge either, so I had to go and ask the school to resubmit the form. It took about a week though, so it must vary across the country.

I heard on the radio today that it has been ruled that blanket checks are not legal and some minor issues such as cautions, will no longer be applicable after a certain time.

msmuse likes this.
  6. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

7. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

Thank you - I kind of thought that, but needed someone to spell it out for me!

8. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

9. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

That doesn't surprise me at all - it's all a pathetic mess

10. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

11. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

Thank you for your reply - I seriously appreciate your help x

12. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Is his Singing for the Brain through the Alzheimer's Society? If so they can sort the DBS.

13. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

Whoever you volunteer for should provide this free of charge. And it doesn't take months, they come very quickly if filled in correctly.

14. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

I've just had one, full enhanced with Barred lists checks. It took two weeks. It probably depends on where you are and if there is a backlog.

15. redlamp2

This is not correct. This would be a judgement call for the employer who would need to demonstrate they have considered the risks of not requiring a check. In most cases probably sensible but it's not correct to say somebody would be 'ineligible' on this basis.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My addresses were in three different police authorities so the DBS had to be passed from one to another with each having their own backlog and undermanning issues....

17. magic surf bus

My response is based on DBS guidance about regulated activity. I do however accept the use of 'ineligible' is perhaps too prescriptive and exceptions may exist, but there are limits on who can be checked and why.

There seems to be a notion around that anyone and everyone who comes into any contact with children and vulnerable adults can and should automatically be subject to DBS clearance, and this is not the case - only regulated activities require checks. My museum guide job puts me and my colleagues in contact with children, including school groups, but was not deemed to require a DBS check. Likewise, the numerous workshops we've run in primary schools have not required DBS documentation because they don't come under the current definition of regulated activity.

Personally I wish I could order one for myself just so I can wave it at the small minority of school receptionists who ask to see it, but in the majority of cases for our type of work it simply isn't required.

18. redlamp2

I don't think you understand the guidance you have linked to and are not best placed to be providing guidance on the matter given that lack of understanding.

If you really wished to obtain a check, it's not at all difficult.

19. magic surf bus

In which case please feel free to enlighten me as to how I can obtain a DBS check, given that I'm self-employed. Some positive input based on your own knowledge would be much appreciated I'm sure.

The assistance I've so far tried to offer the OP is based on weekly experience in a wide range of schools in at least a dozen different Education Authorities over the last year or so. If you know differently then why keep the details to yourself? Please tell us more.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

redlamp2 likes this.