1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DBS Checks

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by simong68, Aug 14, 2015.

1. I recently registered with Concorde teaching bank and paid them the £44 for the check, I also registered my DBS with the update service. DBS check certificate arrives clean as I knew it would be. I went to register with another agency Pro Education, who would not accept the DBS as I hadn't had the adult check, I'm not applying to work with adults and also that the job title was teaching assistant.

I contacted Concorde and explained I have paid the money for the check and you haven't checked the adult register, so I couldn't use this DBS to work with adults, also that the job title is Teaching Assistant. Concorde won't employ me as a teacher until I have QTLS. The reply from Concorde is that it would be illegal for them to make the adult check, as I am only going to be working with Children with them, and that the job title is irrelevant, that latter I can understand as the check is clean and its only a title.

Pro Education, want me to pay another £44 for another DBS despite mine being registered with the update service. Other agencies have accepted my DBS and checked it with the DBS service with my permission. The consultant at Pro Education seems rather pushy and abrupt.

Is anybody able to tell me where I stand with this. I have contacted the NUT advice line, however haven't heard anything since Monday.

2. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

Some agencies will not accept the update service as proof and do ask for a new dbs with them in my experience. It does seem a bit nonsensical but guess that is their prerogative. Some will refund the cost to you once you have done work for them.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

[​IMG]

You don't really have any rights in this matter, unfortunately. If the new agency makes a new DBS application a condition of registering with them - whether it's necessary or not - then they can do so. You either do it or you don't register with them.

4. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

If you condensed the pure loathing I have of the DBS system, you would have a toxic substance! ONE DBS should cover you for EVERYTHING! However, I suspect that the Government have cottoned on to the fact that it is a cash cow and allow this utter nonsense to continue.

OP - I would tell Pro Education where they can put their DBS and have nothing more to do with them!

5. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

It's not the government being greedy, it's successive governments being stupid and allowing Capita to lobby for ever more checks. They make profit, the Treasury picks up the bill.

6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

We were told that the DBS online service would sweep away the need for multiple checks on the same person, as happened with the old CRB. B*ll*ocks has it! Each agency still wants you to pay for 'their own' DBS, or charge you the same amount, £40 - 50, just to check the online system. Rip off!

7. drek

drek Star commenter

I've heard that there will soon be a charge for air space. If you are not registered with a council they might be able to charge you for breathing in their space. Ok I'm exaggerating but not by much.

We have to pay the deficit somehow, we the working class, not the executive class.

8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Well, I'm not best pleased. I renewed my DBS last week through the LEA, at a cost of £60! Not only that, I was strongly advised to register with the update service at an extra cost of £13. So, £73 just do to some supply which may or may not materialise. And if you don't get any work for three months, is your DBS no longer valid? Did I misunderstand that bit?

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

DBS cost (ie what you/LA has to pay the DBS service) is £44. Presumably the LA is adding a £16 admin charge for itself to process the application? AFAIK it's allowed to.

That might be a rule that your LA has set for itself but it isn't the national rule because there is no national rule. DBS Disclosures have no official 'period of validity' and no official expiry date. Any information included will be accurate at the time the check was carried out, that's the only "validity" there is. The information could be out of date the day after it is issued or still correct 25 years later. It is up to each employer to decide if and when a new check is needed.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Spot on!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

11. Dunteachin

Thanks for your replies. My eyes started to glaze over when she wittered on about portability and how great it is that she can check on my movements every three months through the update service. There won't be any movements. I'll just be going to the one school down the road, if I get the call. Might not bother with the update thingy - it's optional, I checked.

Wish I'd just called it a day.

12. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

It's about time agencies/employers became up to date with what the government DOES actually recommend?

As of July 2015:

www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service

With the online update service - there should be no more rubbish about 'portability' or getting a new DBS with every other agency you go to.

"When you join, you’ll get an online account that lets you:

• take your certificate from one job to the next
    • give employers permission to check your certificate online, and see who has checked it
    • add or remove a certificate"
    Employers can look at this and see updates. The remaining question I guess is who should pay the update service fee then..."Registration lasts for 1 year and costs £13 per year (payable by debit or credit card only). There’s no charge if you’re a volunteer."

So I'm guessing that doesn't get around paying for a check in the first place, but hopefully not having to KEEP PAYING when you move agencies? Or am I just being lured into that commonsensical, bureaucracy - free place because of the Summer Holidays?

13. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

The DBS update service is worth paying for if you intend to work in the same sector. If you move sector, as in the OP's situation I believe the employer has to undertake a new DBS check. I had an issue (documented on these forums) whereby each primary school (in the same LA) that gave a colleague supply work directly was undertaking a completely new DBS check, despite the fact my colleague had registered with the update service.

On checking this with the LA it was revealed that one of their minions had been advising schools to do new DBS checks as a precaution (an unnecessary cost). That particular LA has now revised its staff training.

As more and more teachers are turning to supply work (see other posts in this forum) and many directly with schools, guidance given to schools really does need to be accurate.

14. Dunteachin

I've now paid for the update service, after a phone call from the LA to remind me! Apparently, if I don't do it, I'd have to go through the whole DBS thing again and pay another £60, at some stage. She did explain it.

15. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

On the subject of DBS checks, does the school at which i work need to view my documents (marriage cert, driving licence, teacher identity...) and indicate they have done so, or do they need to keep copies? I am very data protective and dont really want copies of these documents kept by someone else. They're mine! I trust school, but still....

16. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

And who checks on her?

17. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Or "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" as one might say.....!

18. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

It was too early in the morning for me to be quoting Juvenal, but yes.

19. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If she works in contact with children, she has to have a DBS check, too.

20. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Do many admin staff at the LA work with children? I somehow doubt it...