1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DBS checks for overseas schools

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by musikteech, Mar 27, 2016.

1. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

I've seen two ads for music teachers required at overseas schools and both say they require DBS checks. Can anyone on here tell me under which law they can ask a British teacher for enhanced checks? I've written to them to ask as well. As far as I'm aware, only UK schools can legally ask for exemption of the rehabilitation of offenders act information.
    Now, I do not have any spent or unspent relevant cautions or convictions but I don't see why I should offer an enhanced check to an overseas school just cos I'm British. Do the natives from the overseas schools have DBS checks? Doubt it. Only the USA, UK and Australia have enhanced checks don't they?

2. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

If it were the other way around, and you were hiring from (say) Slovakia or Argentina, you'd require whatever is the equivalent Slovakian or Argentinian criminal records check for someone applying to work with vulnerable people.

They're overseas, so they don't have to pay any attention to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 or the related Exceptions Order. As employers they are at liberty to ask for any information they feel they need, as long as they are not breaching their own national law.

As overseas employers can't carry out List 99 checks, getting the best possible disclosure in the circumstances sounds like good practice.

3. musikteech

What if the teacher allows an enhanced disclosure without checking the barred lists then? I think they do enhanced disclosures without checking list 99 in the UK. Some countries ask for a basic disclosure or ACRO police certificate for a work visa but international schools seem to ask for a DBS check.

4. musikteech

Also, I emailed ACRO to ask them about the ICPC and they said that if someone on list 99 applied for an ICPC,to work in an overseas school, it would be detected and an ICPC possibly refused to be given.

5. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

It is odd that these schools prefer an enhanced DBS to the ICPC. It's essentially the same information. Maybe they assume that the applicant will already have a DBS and that this will make things quicker in the event of a job offer. The ICPC can't be applied for until the job is offered.

There's quite a hefty cost to the individual for the this certificate (£60).

6. musikteech

ICPCs don't have barred lists apparently, which is why they can refuse to issue them if someone applies for one who is on the list I think.