1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DBS certificate

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by brookydancing, Jun 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. brookydancing

brookydancing New commenter

I will shortly be leaving teaching post via a SA (long term absence, depression and WRS) and wondered if I can get copy of my DBS. Also any advice of going into school to collect personal possessions/resources. I have been off since January and dreading going in. Thanks.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The DBS is yours and so you should have it. Are you sure you have a DBS? Many folk who have had the same employer for a long time are still covered by the old CRB check which belongs to the employer.

nomad likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You have to have signed up to the Update Service. You'd know if you'd already done that. Sorry. It's a scam and a complete pain.

catbefriender and UpperPayShelf like this.
  4. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Why do you want your DBS??
    My understanding is that you have to take out a new one with every job.
    I've got about 4 or 5 all chucked in a drawer. I even had to have new ones for charity work and voluntary work.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You have to sign up within 30 days of the DBS Certificate being issued though so I guess that option isn't available to you until you have to apply for a new DBS.

I wouldn't worry about it, it will make no difference in practice. Any new employer will require you to apply for a new one anyway.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

That was the old CRB. DBS is portable, you do it once then pay an annual subscription to keep it updated.

7. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

It's only portable if you sign up to the update service within 30 days of getting it.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Whatever the circumstances of no longer being there it is perfectly reasonable to contact the school and ask them to arrange a time when you can go to collect stuff. Normally this would be outside of normal teaching hours eg 4.00.
    I'd suggest contacting either HR, PA to HT or reception staff, who will seek authorisation and a time. Either you'll be let in to get stuff, or you'll be accompanied to your old room to get it, or you'll have to outline what is there and where, and they will bundle it up for you to get from Reception. This relies on you being able to identify where and what it is, and of course relies on it not having been pilfered.
    Less likely, in fact unheard of, is the response "no, you cannot have your stuff".

If you left on intrinsically bad terms or you absolutely cannot face going in, then you can ask your union to arrange collection so you do not have to go to the building-there might be somebody who can do that for you,and you would then meet them somewhere close to the school.

If you have left on a SA, why have you not asked this question to your union? It's pretty bog standard to require your stuff back, just as you also need to renounce your school badge etc back to them.

phlogiston and agathamorse like this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Contact a friendly colleague and arrange for them to pack your bits into boxes for you.

agathamorse and Pomza like this.
  10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Technically 'your' resources may be the intellectual property of the school or LEA, if prepared for use by their students during your paid employment there.

That said, I've never seen anyone pop up on this forum saying they've been sued for breach of copyright when they used a resource of their own devising somewhere else.

It may not be possible for a colleague to have access to your DBS unless you clearly state in writing that they can collect it for you. Confidentiality and all that.

One more thing - if you're planning to become self-employed and work with children or vulnerable adults, you can't apply for a DBS check for yourself. Only an employer can do that.

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am afraid that unless there is something to make it clear that these things belong to you, they may already have been moved or disposed of. As for the DBS, I thought that this belonged to you. My recollection is that it was sent to me and I then showed it to the relevant person. So, if the school has it, they should be willing to give it back.

12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm pretty sure that employers are required by DBS rules to destroy the DBS certificate and any other DBS related documents after 6 months (or give it to you) so I doubt there's any certificate in existence for the school to give you.

What schools have to do is keep a 'Single Central Record' (SCR), ie a spreadsheet listing for each employee the number and issue date of the DBS certificate and a whole bunch of other stuff - qualifications checks etc. But not allowed to keep the certificate itself.

13. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

….which is why I have a drawer full of the things....

Piranha likes this.
  14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

There is no reason why the school should have a DBS as it belongs to the individual and not the school.

The DBS is sent to the individual whilst the school (if the application has gone via them) will get an email confirming that the DBS has been issued and whether there are any issues. From memory it does not list the issues but advises you to speak to the individual.

As RottWeiler has said schools are obliged to maintain a Single Central Record and the only information from it that we recorded was:
    • Date of issue
    • DBS certificate number
    • Name of the person who authorised the certificate.
    We never held the certificate.

Piranha and agathamorse like this.