1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DBS and supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Lucilla90, Dec 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

I am sure this is already covered, somewhere, but I will ask anyhow.

How does one go about getting a “generic” DBS which can be used in different schools, when starting out on supply? My current one is specific to my previous workplace.

Obviously, agencies get them, but if trying to get work myself, too, I will need one.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I believe you can apply for one yourself. However I got mine through an agency and I have used it when I get work independently. It is your dbs. not the agency's. Just make sure you opt to pay the £13 pa update fee.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

The quickest way to get a DBS is to ask one of the agencies you sign up with to apply for a DBS on your behalf. You can do it yourself but you will still have to go through an agent ( otherwise how would the DBS people know all your documents and identify are genuine?). There are special agents who apply for DBS Certificates for people but they will charge you a fee so it is quicker and probably less expensive to ask one of the teaching agencies to do it. I am not sure what special agents charge you would have to have a look online. It is at least worth looking since it might be cheaper than you think and you won't know until you investigate.

Once you apply for your DBS and receive it, you have 14 days or thereabouts to sign up to the update service. Once you are signed up to the update service, as long as you pay £13 each year you will remain on the update service which means you do not have to apply for a DBS Certificate again.

However, KEEP YOUR DBS CERTIFCATE SAFE, as sometimes schools will ask to see the original certificate. I lost mine and although I was on the update service, I had to apply for a new paper copy.

Expect to pay anything between £44 and £52 for the certificate if you go through a teaching agency.

All the best. All of this is a bit of a hassle, but once you have everything in place it runs smoothly.

les25paul and JohnJCazorla like this.