1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dbs and supply teaching

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by jillymo, Sep 27, 2018.

  1. jillymo

    jillymo New commenter

    Hi all,
    I have decided to go into supply teaching. I'm approaching schools direct and not through an agency initially. How do I go about getting a DBS? One of the schools has given me a form to fill in. When that comes through, can I use the certificate in other schools? Or will it be best to just pay for my own? I intend to use the rolling service when its all sorted.
    Thank you in advance for your help!
  2. The-Gaffer

    The-Gaffer Occasional commenter

    I think you need an organisation to apply for a DBS, for example Supply Teaching is not an organisation but the name of an agency/school/governing Body etc are

    Your best bet is to register as a supply teacher with an agency and use them as your DBS organisation, even if you don't use them ever for work you will need to use them to gain a DBS, plus they have the added bonus of being able to look for work for you as well if your contacts fall through at any point

    Or maybe the school that asked you to fill the form in could you put them?? You might need to be an employee though?

    It's been so long since I did mine (I'm on the update service) i don't remember

    Edit - the agency I listed as my DBS 'employer' actually hardly gets me any work - the full dbs is transferable & GET ON THE UPDATE SERVICE
    jillymo, JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

    If a school has given you the DBS application form you return it to them and they send in the application. You usually have to take it in person with the various proofs of ID required. You can't apply yourself directly. The DBS Disclosure certificate is sent to you and yours to keep - you just have to show it to the school that processed your application.

    Sign up for the Updating service as soon as you get the Disclosure certificate. In theory you don't need to apply for another DBS certificate ever again, just show them your latest DBS certificate and give them permission to view your details on the Updating service.

    However many people have reported here that although they are on the Updating service schools still ask for them to submit a new application. They are legally entitled to do this despite it being a monumental waste of everyone's time and money.
  4. jillymo

    jillymo New commenter

    Thank you both for your help. I'll do the updating service as soon as I get my DBS from the school. I've also just registered with an agency so hopefully all sorted soon!
    RedBedHead94 and agathamorse like this.
  5. RedBedHead94

    RedBedHead94 Established commenter

    Put the DBS on the Update service. It costs £13 a year and means it's totally portable between agencies and schools, as it can be constantly checked to see if information has changed or not in regards to your identity details and criminal record. Makes life much easier (and cheaper than doing a new certificate each year or so)
    jillymo and agathamorse like this.
  6. hplovegame48

    hplovegame48 Occasional commenter

    As someone who lost the paper version and paid for the Update Service. It isn't portable. I have to apply for a new bit of paper.
  7. RedBedHead94

    RedBedHead94 Established commenter

    Yep, that's what I said... the UDS only confirms that the paper one is still accurate. Gotta be able to see the paper one. But if you DON'T lose the paper one - you can continue to pay the subscription to keep it portable, for as long as you can provide the paper one that it's linked to.

Share This Page