1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DBS 106 and counting....THEO please help! Or anyone else!!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by trippa, Jun 24, 2015.

1. trippa

trippa New commenter

Hi all,

I am REALLY frustrated and nearly at the point of despair.

I have registered with an agency who were really good and got me on their system quickly. However, it's our "fantastic government" that have dragged their heals about my DBS.

It initially reached the 60 day marker, and they then sent an email (a fat lot of good that did) to the respective police who twiddled their thumbs for another 14 days before I was able to rip into them personally and get the check moving. To my despair, I find that they have sent it back to the "wonderful" DBS people with a query, who in turn have sent it back to the police. Now it's back with the police, another email (again, I don't see how this will help) has been sent to the police force to hurry it up. I noticed recently that the checks have gone from stage 4 on the tracking service BACK to stage 2 and 3!!

Meanwhile, I am losing money hand over fist and am in need of work (although I am now working casually as an event steward, despite holding a full door supervisors licence....and those DBS checks came through MUCH quicker!). I have recovered from a serious injury and left my previous employment with a payout which has dwindled down. I need to get back into work, for my own sanity and to get back t what I enjoy most....teaching!

Any help or advice would be most welcomed.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Pretty awful . . .

But I'm afraid that there is nothing that I can suggest at all. Write to your MP? How would that help . . . don't think so.

Just grin and bear it.

Sorry that I have no other suggestions . . .

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

While few people would argue that children need protecting from criminals and the DBS check in some form is required for this, the system is pretty dysfunctional for two reasons:-

1. Each school/agency need a different one? Why? WHY? Because someone can simultaneously be a criminal at one school and be checked and not be a criminal at another? That sort of absurdity is best left to cats and quantum physics. One can understand the need for a school to want an 'up to date' DBS but in that case, surely, there are people that have been at schools for years on end who, for all the school know, could have committed many crimes in the meantime since the DBS check. The utterly obvious thing would be for a DBS to be renewed periodically.

2. The time it takes. It is 2015. TWENTY FIFTEEN! It surely does not take weeks or months (or even days) in this age of information technology to find out whether someone has been convicted of crimes. Such information should be accessible, IN MINUTES, by a secure central computer system. If it aint, then sorry police, but you need the modernisation the Government talk about.

Yes, if you are one of those awkward so and sos who have lived at 8 addresses in 5 countries and have been known under 3 aliases, you deserve to have to wait, but for the rest of us, the DBS checking system progresses at 19th century pace in a 21st century world.

If enough TESSERS got together and wrote a petition..........................

4. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

How long have you had the DBS for the current job? If it's very recent, you could still have time to pay the £12 or whatever renewal fee and that should make the one you have portable.

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I rather suspect only legal action will help the OP (& that would cost). A solicitor's advice and letter/intervention?

6. trippa

trippa New commenter

Hi guys,

Sorry about the delayed response! Good news! My DBS check has come back...after a mere 114 days! Talk about amazing government efficiency or what???

Anyway, another hot potato to handle here and I don't know what to do....

I have a record from when I was a silly 16 year old (Community sentence order of 240 hours and a £30 fine). However, it does **NOT** show on my DBS at all. I'm in my early 30s now.

What does this mean? Do have to declare it in future? What happens if I go abroad? What about other work places? It's all very confusing now!

Any help/advice would be most appreciated!

7. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I believe on application forms you do have to declare if you have ever had a warning or caution - generally it goes in a sealed envelope purely for the HT's eyes. However, as it did not result in a custodial sentence, I could be wrong.

Going abroad - do you mean to teach or to holiday? Some countries will not let you have a visa if you have certain criminal records. Check with the FCO.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The rules were changed in 2013 and government introduced something they called 'DBS filtering rules'. Effectively that means that all old and minor convictions and cautions will NOT be included on a DBS and do not have to be disclosed to a school when you applying for a job. The only exceptions are cautions and minor convictions that involved children.

You can read up on it here

www.gov.uk/.../dbs-filtering-guidance

They altered the DBS application form at the time and it should make this clear.

BTW the reason they changed it was because the government lost a case in the Supreme Court. The court ruled that the previous practice of everything appearing on an Enhanced DBS Disclosure however minor and however long ago was disproportionate and breach of human rights law.

This applies to any job you apply for in the UK (well, unless maybe you are applying to work for MI5!).

None of the UK law about 'spent' convictions and DBS Filtering apply outside the UK, and foreign governments (for visas) and foreign employers are entitled to ask for literally everything if they chose to. You cannot use any UK law to avoid giving the full information. Whether they are bothered by your age 16 misdemeanours is another matter!