1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dazed and confounded

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by confused_in_Borneo, Aug 26, 2011.

1. It's great that the TES offers such a platform for focus on topics like this.
    As a parent of an EDEXCEL Drama student getting grades this year, I have read all your thoughts and frustrations with great interest.
    My first reaction on recieving my daughter's grades was one of incredulity and (wrongly) of blame on the School. Thanks to this article and discussion thread, parents like myself have quickly got to understand the situation.
    I sympathise with all Drama teachers out there having to deal with the aftermath of this situation. I find it hard to imagine a more frustrating place that you might find yourself in at present. You feel passionate about your subject, you are restricted to the curriculums you can offer, you decide on what you feel is the best choice and in good faith that your students will be treated with balance and respect for their efforts.
    And then EXDEXCEL totally fail to deliver on their professional obligations.
    I find it disgaceful that a UK exam board can produce these examination results and consider them as an acceptable assessment of pupils drama abilities. It sadly makes a total mockery of the subject.
    This is even more annoying and embarassing for me a British National living and working in Borneo, where I see great deal of respect and trust placed on UK examination boards in international schools across the region.
    Teachers, pupils and parents deserve an apology and explanation from EDEXCEL for what has happened and an open promise that this will never happen again.
    And I would find it hard not to strongly recommend students not to take Drama in my daughters school next year for fear of a repeat of this mess. A very sad indictment indeed.

2. It's great that the TES offers such a platform for focus on topics like this.
    As a parent of an EDEXCEL Drama student getting grades this year, I have read all your thoughts and frustrations with great interest.
    My first reaction on recieving my daughter's grades was one of incredulity and (wrongly) of blame on the School. Thanks to this article and discussion thread, parents like myself have quickly got to understand the situation.
    I sympathise with all Drama teachers out there having to deal with the aftermath of this situation. I find it hard to imagine a more frustrating place that you might find yourself in at present. You feel passionate about your subject, you are restricted to the curriculums you can offer, you decide on what you feel is the best choice and in good faith that your students will be treated with balance and respect for their efforts.
    And then EXDEXCEL totally fail to deliver on their professional obligations.
    I find it disgaceful that a UK exam board can produce these examination results and consider them as an acceptable assessment of pupils drama abilities. It sadly makes a total mockery of the subject.
    This is even more annoying and embarassing for me a British National living and working in Borneo, where I see great deal of respect and trust placed on UK examination boards in international schools across the region.
    Teachers, pupils and parents deserve an apology and explanation from EDEXCEL for what has happened and an open promise that this will never happen again.
    And I would find it hard not to strongly recommend students not to take Drama in my daughters school next year for fear of a repeat of this mess. A very sad indictment indeed.

3. Ditto also a parent EDEXCEL Unit 3:
    I am a parent of a student who wants to take A
    level drama; was told he was very good; got a part in the school
    performance (mainly 6th formers) singled out after the run as a notable
    perrformer. A* in unit 2. Nothing below a b in all his other gcse's. Was
    told after his examined performance was of A level standard - marked as
    a D. He was gutted I have advised him to drop DRAMA at A - level.
    EDEXCEL are taking money on false pretence here a sham, piracy. DRAMA here is disreputable.
    Schools should all appeal then drop edexcel - too late for these poor pupils though.
    Class have discussed on facebook group they cannot believe what has happened the best students getting poor Unit 3 marks. Edexcel drama completely sham. But will they(Edexcel) care; I think not - theyve had the money.

4. Same situation for my son but for AQA - Unit 2 result A*, Unit 1 prediction A*, Unit 1 result E - what can we as parents do other than raise with the school and request remarks?

5. Write to your MP or create a petition online. Once it has a certain number of signatures the govt have to acknowledge. A wild suggestion I know but maybe Gove should really understand what this ridiculousness is all about :)

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The many reasons given are exactly those that meant I ditched EDEXCEL as an exam board I was willing to work for as an examiner, or teach the specifications of.

7. This appears on three different threads and I don't get it - am I having a dense moment? What are you trying to tell us annoyedparent???? Or is it a subliminal message that only a few will understand????[​IMG]

8. Make that FOUR now.....am I going mad?????

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

They are an annoyed parent trying to get more support for their own views, as expressed within the thread they are posting everywhere.

10. Oh, thanks Crowbob!!!!

11. hey not just support for own views [​IMG]. .. the cross-referenced thread has a lot of intersting detail relevant to the issues in these threads, which folks may not have seen

12. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Your agenda is fairly clear from your forum picture.

13. well spotted