1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Daytime naps for 6 month old- controlled crying/ alternative?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by kittenmittens, Jun 16, 2011.

1. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

My LO is now 6 months and sleeps well at night- she self settles at 7pm after her bath/book/bottle and wakes at 6am ish, sometimes earlier, for her first milk feed. She sometimes goes back to sleep after this, soemtimes wants to start her day. If she wakes during the night she gurgles and self settles again. Very happy with all of this!
    She has always been a pickle with her daytime naps though, she resists sleep to the point of total exhaustion. Pushchair/ car journey sometimes works so I try to plan my trips around this. I can sometimes get her nap in her cot if I rock her to sleep with the dummy in in the rocking chair. If I put her straight in the cot she screams. I know her tired signs- physically 'busy', clenching and unclenching fists, kicking, wriggling, red eyes, yawning, rubbing eyes and at the first sign og this try to get her to sleep. If I try to pre-empt it she gets cross beacuse she still wants to play. If I try to keep her going longer she gets in a real state, very overtired and grizzly, eventually screaming. She can be awake about 3 hours since the last nap before she needs the next one.
    Yesterday I spent over an hour rocking her to sleep in the end which resulted in a 15 minute nap. I'd love to be able to put her in the cot at a certain time and for her to sleep! Maybe this is impossible but would controlled crying help? Has anyone done this or used another method for daytime naps with success? Thanks x

2. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

Just a really quick reply but this sounds like it could have been my LO at that age (apart from the sleeping through the night bit and self settling!). We didn't get major progress on naps till 9 months when he dropped from 3 to 2. He would get so cross when I put him down, and wouldn't nap in car or pushchair either, he would fight sleep so much, it was incredible. And like you, it would sometimes take me an hour to get him down for 15 minutes.
    I would highly recommend reading the No Cry No Sleep Solution (not the Nap one however) as it has a whole host of ideas to try and see what works. We tried music in the room, and also having a precise naptime routine to wind down from playing. Also have you thought about using a sling, this would always work with my LO but means you can't have a rest though. Perhaps use it for a while to get her back on track, or transfer to cot once she is asleep (tricky I know).
    Good luck x

3. My LO is almost 7 months and is also very good at night and not so great at daytime napping. Once she reached 6 months she started rolling onto her tummy in her cot and I noticed that she actually settles better this way. I asked the hv about it as I was worried about all of the advice about the dangers of tummy-sleeping and she said that it's fine because once they start rolling there's nothing you can really do to stop it! She is still happy to sleep on her back at night but during the day I actually put her down on her tummy now because I know that she will sleep that way. Is your LO rolling yet?

4. kittenmittens

That's really interesting Ellesabe because Baby Kitten does exactly the same thing, she rolls onto her tummy doing a push-up pose and squawks becuase she can't get onto her back again. She does it a lot when awake and playing and also at night. She does sleep on her tummy and my HV said the same thing as yours. I'll try putting her down to sleep on her tummy, thanks for the idea x

5. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

Hi there,

This probably isn't much help but our daughter has always been a great sleeper on a night and slept through from very early - but naps are another matter entirely! She started going to a childminder when she was 6 months and just before then started refusing point blank to go down in her cot during the day. Since then she's had naps as and when - in the car or in her pushchair. At 11 months she dropped down to just one nap a day - an hour at most. It just seems she needs less sleep (she's still on that pattern now at 22 months, although some days she goes without a nap at all now, and has done for maybe 3 months).

6. Jemima did this and had about a week of frustration before she eventually learnt how to rest her head on the mattress! Hope you find a solution soon.

7. Try a sling. Get her in the sling, she'll snuggle down away from the world and sleep and you can use the time to get on with jobs and things.
    Personally I'd be thankful that she's sleeping through the night. That's fab for this age. Plus I'm not a fan of controlled crying, I've never been able to leave them crying for long, and the sling is just easier.

8. My LO used to be a terrible napper, but slept through the night... I worked very hard to get her to nap during the day. Now she naps fine but wakes up every 2/3 hours at night... Be careful what you wish for![​IMG]

9. I've got a horrendous napper too! Sleeps through the night but screeches like a banshee even if I just put him in the cot and I'm next to him (the same cot he sleeps in all night!) Hey ho!

10. I'd love a sling but my 7 month old is 24lb and I don't think my body could take it!

11. kittenmittens

Hmmm I have thought of a sling but it's not for me, LO just squirms around if she is held ahen tired. I borrowed a stretchy wrap thing from a friend and we didn't get on very well with it, LO kept trying to get out!
    I tried some controlled crying a couple of days ago and lasted all of 3 mins before going in to a very distressed baby, totally hysterical and took her ages to calm down. I felt really bad about it and promised her I wouldn't do it again, I'm sure it works for some mums and babies but not for us.