1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Days of from illness

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by bolz7891, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Hi James (or anyone!)

I know I am probably worrying for nothing but just wanted to know some information on absences due to illness. I am currently on my second PGCE placement and came home from school last night with awful stomach ache. I was then sick during the night and woke up and was sick again this morning. I feel pretty rough and so have not gone into school today and my schools policy is 48 hours off from the last time you were ill and so given that I was sick this morning, I will not be able to go in tomorrow either. And now i'm worrying about having time off school placement :eek:( I have not yet had any time off on last placement or this one and I know this is only two days but I'm worried about the amount of time we are able to have off during the training year ...? I don't want my absences to look bad on my record :eek:( I obviously have a genuine reason and the school will not allow me to come in with a stomach bug ... so hoping it will not look too bad? ... thanks for any reassurance!

2. To start with, don't worry! Your health and welfare comes first. Concentrate on getting better and only return to school when you are fully recovered. There's no point in returning too early only to have to take more time off or, even worse, end up spreading germs to pupils and colleagues!
    Do keep your school and uni informed of what is going on. Your uni will certian to have a procedure to follow in case of illness, and about the production of medical note/certificate after certain days, so stick to it. It should not affect your marks or employability.
    If your illness becomes prolonged and you may end up with insufficient time in school (120 days in secondary, 90 in primary), then again your uni's procedure should be followed. Most courses have extra days built in just for such an eventuality. If you need to make up extra days, it may be possible to prolong your placement, or in the worst-case scenario, you may have to return in the autumn to complete it, but I hope it doesn't come to that.
    Get well soon!