1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Days in lieu for excursions

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by noemie, Jan 23, 2012.

1. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I work in an independent school and all trips are expected to be done during holiday time.
    PE staff don't get time off in lieu for Saturday games. Or ski trips in the holidays. Geography field trips often return much after the close of play at school. I think this is one of those things where you shouldn't expect anything back in return - if you're ok with it, do it, if not, don't go on those trips. I'd still expect a thank you from management, mind (and from kids and parents, but that's not often forthcoming!)
    Plus with all the savings I make on wine and cheese, it's worth it [​IMG]

2. ambi

ambi New commenter

I am surprised that schools can get away with putting "assisting with trips" as part of the job description(unless you are in the Independent sector) as I always thought it was a completely voluntary thing and in fact the unions recommend you don't do trips at all. Likewise I think they would be on shaky ground to link trips to performance management targets. We do our trips in holiday time (including a training day) but would not expect time off in lieu. last year our boss was however very good when I needed a day to go with daughter to uni interview)

3. Teachers are contracted to work 195 days a year. I can't see how any head can make you go over that without giving you time off in lieu or paying you extra. Some colleagues run trips in the holidays, that's up to them. Why would I work for free?

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

No one can make you go, as I said. If you don't want to go, I'd rather you didn't go, than trying to get something out of it in return.
    I'm just quite shocked that in this day and age people can still think teachers have a hard time compared to other professions...

5. Random175

Random175 New commenter

Assisting a trip doesn't necessarily mean actually going on it does it? There is loads to do to organise it especially if you have a collective passport. No I don't think they can force you to go on it.

6. Well, before becoming a teacher I worked as an IT analyst in a large multinational company. During project work, I was sometimes given a day or two's notice of travel to a foreign country to assist with the implementation of a new system. If you want to get somewhere in most big companies, you have to accept some inconvenience.
    I thought I worked hard as a teacher, but my brother has recently become a lawyer in a large London law firm. The hours he works are horrendous - a bit like the pressure we get at report time, but almost every single day and without the long holidays to recover.

7. Herringthecat

Herringthecat New commenter

I agree. My husband works for a large multinational organisation and makes regular trips to the USA. He is middle-management sort of level. His travel has to include a Saturday night because the flights are then so much cheaper, so he is always away for a weekend. No question of time off in lieu. I reckon most years he spends five weekends away from home - that's an extra 10 days' work!

So don't think that in the private sector it's all rosy. it ain't. he is also frequently also working at home until 11pm!

8. lapicarde

lapicarde New commenter

Absolutely spot on ! I feel bullied into going on a foreign trip every year because I am Head of Languages ; I have done a trip every year since 1996 ,bar one and now I feel completely knackered and I have tried to talk to my Head about it but she won't give an inch . I think it is a disgrace and yes of course we should either be paid extra or have time off in lieu,
    So what can we do about this bullying ethos , as you say ? Any ideas from all of you fellow colleagues ?

9. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

There are people who assume that the school and the LA will support them if things go wrong. Those people are now sadder and wiser as a result of making that assumption. NASUWT advice for a number of years now has been not to do trips at all.

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

We refuse point-blank to do any trips that do not include school time.
    I recently had an email from the Head asking what had been said to a parent in this matter: I confirmed to him that as we has to take supply rates into account for any trip, the cost would be prohibitive and that as such we were not planning any - he was fine with it!
    It is such a pity, but none of the 5 of us in my dept is prepared to dedicate a whole 1/2 term holiday/a major part of another holiday to leading a trip without pay.

11. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I have done two trip/exchanges a year for 25 years. I did them because I enjoyed them and usually did them in the holidays. Students get a huge amount from them, especially in languages.
    It's up to you, but don't do it begrudgingly. A head cannot force you to do a trip in your own time. Just say no.
    I also echo what some previous posters have said. Teachers are not alone in doing extra work. It happens all the time in the professions. I don't like the counting hours mentality.
    I have to say, quite frankly, teachers moan a good deal, don't they?

12. Yeah, but we're worth it! Also I have great hair (and GCSE/A level results)
    Helen

13. Just back from Paris - the expression on faces and "Wow!" sounds as you turn the corner from Trocadero metro station to face the Eiffel Tower make it all worthwhile, IMHO. However - don't do trips if you can't face the hassle. I have put a lot of work into these over the years, mainly because I feel it's an (unwritten) part of the job description. If you're going to be jobs-worth about it, then just don't bother (and see consequent lack of enrichment). However, I also wouldn't bother if I didn't feel I had overall support and back up from school. I normally plan trips to run half in school time running into holidays and this seems to work well. No shortage of staff willing to help prepare and/or accompany.

14. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Tee hee. I like.

15. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

This is one of the silliest threads I've ever seen and the TES has had some real "Duesies" over the years. I wonder how many teachers feel they should be paid for their time spent marking in the evenings and during weekends and holidays? Or are the kind of people who want to be paid for school trips the kind of teachers who don't spend much time doing this? If you don't want to go on trips, then don't go. Just don't complain that the students are not interested and can't see a use for languages outside the classroom.

16. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

My husband works for a multinational corporation and consequently goes regularly to the USA and Europe for up to 10 days at a time. These trips always include at least one weekend. He is expected to go into work the day after he returns, usually very jet-lagged having flown through the night on more than one plane. He never gets any days in lieu.

School trips in holiday time are part of the job. As long as you take good kids, they are also one of the perks.