1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Day tutoring

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by nowhereman1, Oct 10, 2015.

1. nowhereman1

nowhereman1 New commenter

Does anyone tutor in the daytime?
    Such as home school children or children with behavioural issues?
    Anyone with any experience?

2. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I do sometimes obtain day-time tutition but it isn't either type of pupil that you mention. It tends to be either A level students (particularly Y13s) with free periods during the school day or mature students who are taking an A level as a stand alone subject alongside part-time work. Sometimes there is a market for home-schooled pupils if you have specific SEN experience but most of them avoid any formal education including tutors!

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I do daytime because with languages, I teach adults as well as children

4. ReneRand

ReneRand New commenter

Lots of opportunities with home school tuition. Doctoryes probably hasn't been successful due to the totally wrong opinion of home schoolers.
    I tutor small groups of no more than 8 children at a time, the groups are made up of children of different ages but grouped in similar ability/key stage, it works well.
    It can be difficult to get into the home school community, mostly due to a lot of parents feeling let down by the system & tutors being heavily influenced by the system/curriculum, but once you're in then the opportunities just seem to flood in. My sister in law home schools (actually home education is the correct wording, home schooling is an American term) so that's how I managed to get into it. It is true there are some families that don't use tutors (there are enough online resources, etc for parents to not need a tutor) but that is such a generalisation. There are many families that are very very eager to arrange tuition, but cost can be an issue (many home educators have to sacrifice a salary to be able to do so), this can be overcome by tutoring small groups rather than one to one. The other main issues are - there are not many tutors around during the day as they are still maintaining teaching positions and there's a lack of understanding of the way home education works (from the tutors point of view, as above!) despite the fact home education is rapidly on the increase.

I really enjoy it as generally the children are extremely enthusiastic and eager as they are not bogged down with the system. There's also a lot of scope for me to do what I enjoy properly, as they don't have to follow the curriculum, there's no assessments, etc so I pretty much have a free reign and follow mine/the children's interests. I maintain my after school tuition too and I don't think I will ever need to teach in school again. I would recommend others to try and tap into this niche.

tessacaerphilly2 likes this.
  5. Georginalouise

Georginalouise New commenter

I get day-time tuition, but again it's A levels or adults. I have been asked to do home-school, but when I looked at it carefully, I could see problems looming.

6. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

Actually I did research whether there was a demand for my subject amongst the HomeEd community in my area. The demand here is much greater for primary schooling than secondary due to shortage of school places. Many parents who do this in my area club together and share skills - many are already qualified teachers or graduates who organise classes themselves so only buy in expertise on subjects they are unable to provide themselves. If you look on local websites for Home Ed there may be requests for tutors wanted and some subjects such as creative arts, languages and music seem to be given a higher priority than in traditional schools. My subject area was already well covered and at A level most opt back into the state system due to the practical facilities that are required for A level Sciences.

7. Georginalouise

Georginalouise New commenter

I've been asked to tutor GCSE science twice to homeschooled children and it has been the practical side that has stopped me. A dining room table isn't (in my opinion) even close to basic laboratory facilities. Even IGCSE (with no practical paper) cannot give a child a good grounding in science if they've not completed even basic practical work in a suitable environment. I'm old-fashioned enough to see the sciences as practical, rather than theoretical subjects and I didn't think it fair to the children to take them on. I suspect doctoryes made his comments because of his understanding of the best methods to teach science, rather than from a 'wrong opinion' based on the lack of understanding the requirements of homeschooled children.