1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Day to day things that puzzle

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Sep 16, 2015.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Why ,despite a waste bin nearby, don tused toilet rolls go there instead of on the floor

Why also is the last piece of loo paper left on the roll and not used.

2. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

What happened to lavatory paper squares? When I was young, these had a middle-class, aspirational connotation. If you were working class, you had a lavatory roll, while if you were a social climber you had squares of interleaved tissue.

3. oldsomeman

ouch for the school Izal ones lol

4. Jolly_Roger1

When I was in infant school, we used to be sent to the lavatories to get sheets in Izal to use as tracing paper. It was little use for its intended purpose.

5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

My grandparents' house used to have that tracing-paper toilet stuff. Horribly scratchy, I hated using it. Thank goodness as they got older they decided to go for more traditional and comfortable toilet roll!

It drives me mad at school and at home that I seem to be the only person who throws empty toilet rolls in the bin and puts the new toilet rolls on the little holders.

6. oldsomeman

Do you ever find the needle/Cion you drop...you lost it out of your hand,it has to have dropped on the floor..but no.....it never can be found..then one day later you catch a glimpse of it near by .How does it hide so well?

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

No! Not in the bin. For recycling, please.

Also what's this about the last sheet of paper? I always use it.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Sounds a bit like living in my house. I always use the last sheet too, since that's often all that's ever left for me.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Izal Medicated is still available on eBay, at a price. If you're a pervert.

10. My Dad worked for the Post Office and used to bring home shiny toilet paper with 'Property of Her Majesty's Government' printed along the edge of the paper. I thought everyone used this. it wasn't until I was much older that I realised there was an alternative to the shiny paper and what a tea leaf my Dad was!

11. Jolly_Roger1

There's a subject for scientific research potentially worthy of the 'Ig Nobel Prize'. Is there a correlation between being forced to use Izal as a child and developing haemorrhoids in later life? Perhaps this is why Izal is a thing of the past. Who could put up with the equivalent of 80 grade wet and dry rasping across their grapes?

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Izal? You were lucky! Back in the '60s in our outside Eastend lavatory we had squares of newspaper.

And dead pigeons on the floor.

[​IMG]

13. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Oh my! You could afford newspapers? We just used the dead pigeons!

14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Dead pigeons! We had the left over feathers!

15. oldsomeman

wouldnt they tickle your fancy?

16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Frequently!

17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

This is an almost everyday occurrence that puzzles, particularly as there's a sign by the harbour which states that the road will flood at high tide,

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2QclcT6F-I]

18. Jolly_Roger1

At my primary school, the lavatories were in a two blocks, on either side of the playground were the dead pigeons could be fund floating about in the cisterns.

19. oldsomeman

You had cisterns? we had a cubicle with no lockable door. and often the loo wasnt working.When we did have a cistern it froze in the winter.along with anything else exposed in that place.,,,,or you sneaked into the girls and risked being caned.

20. Jolly_Roger1

@OSM: In the winter, a visit to the lavatory blocks in the playground was a misery delayed until absolute desperation forced you. The half-doors on the cubicles offered little protection against chilly, north winds. When they froze up, such as in the bad winter of 62-3, we all had to use the infant school lavatories, as they were inside the building. At play times, the competition could be fierce.