1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Day to day supply ...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by thelovelyliz, Jan 26, 2011.

1. How plentiful is it for most people, if people don't mind answering (secondary trained)
    Many thanks

2. How plentiful is it for most people, if people don't mind answering (secondary trained)
    Many thanks

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I would visit the supply forum and have a trawl and you find that for most people the situation is dire. Some are doing better but the trend is all gloom I am afraid.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've done supply for 4 years now. Barely had a day off. Mostly medium term contracts (half a term to two full terms) but in the few gaps I've done day to day and been full on! I guess I'm lucky and it just depends where you are and what your agency is like (but I pick up some of mine by word of mouth or previous contact).
    I've done supply in state and independent schools, as well as a PRU and a Special School. It's a great opportunity to gain experience in different schools.
    Good luck.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Definitely - the more the merrier, but don't forget your flak jacket and helmet ;-)

6. Thanks. Unfortunately I cannot do short term contract as I have young children. Really getting concerned about the fact that there are no jobs and I regret resigning from my permanent position [​IMG]

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i would ne4ver tell anyone to resign from a permanant position in this day and age..
    However i have just got a long term supply post thoug ..eve though i wasnt looking for it.
    Daty to day is very mixed im hearing.

8. Well yes, thanks, I know that now but at the time it was a choice between working for less than £100 per month after childcare costs or being a full time mum and the latter was far, far more appealing.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I can imagine it is lol
    when my kids arrived i worked long hours to support my wife who stayed at home...i hope you manage to make the right choice.

10. Thanks, to be honest it's not so much about the choice, I need to go back to work (unfortunately!) but there isn't any out there [​IMG]