1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

day swap for ofsted

Discussion in 'Primary' started by oldwoman, Jan 2, 2012.

1. I work part time in a primary school which expects Ofsted this term. The Head teaches the class on the days I am not there. This will be the first Ofsted since I joined. I have been told that if Ofsted come in on the days I don't work, I am expected to come in. Given that the maximum notice I would get of this would be 2 working days, it could be difficult to change domestic arrangements and I would be teaching lessons I hadn't planned for. Is it normal practice to expect a part timer to come in to cover an Ofsted inspection?

2. Normal in my school. We had ofsted a month ago and all Part time staff came into school either to teach or to support.

3. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Not normal in my school, although a supply would be brought in to teach most of SLTs lessons. (Head teaches 4 lessons, Dep head 8 a week) Assistant head nearly full time teaching would be freed up if needed. Any part time staff would be off as normal. Unless brought in as paid supply to cover above or illness.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It makes more sense for you to come in and cover the HT, given you know the class, than for a supply teacher to do so. The HT needs to be released and who better to do it than you?

I would imagine that with two days notice you would plan the lessons and simply teach what you would have taught on your normal day, if at all possible. Certainly you would have more notice than supply teachers have, so it shouldn't be all that tricky.

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

minnieminx's answer makes sense to me, though I do appreciate the difficulty of rearranging childcare, if that's an issue.

6. The Head needs to be available to talk to OFSTED if you want the best outcome!

7. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

This is the bit which bothers me. Could they not just ask if you could come in?

8. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Not normal, and not legal.
    The Head can ask you to come; you can agree to - either for the benefit of the school, or just because you're flexible. But you cannot be made to. You can only be required to work on your contracted days. Simple as that.
    Any further flexibility is entirely dependent on your goodwill.

9. Thank you all for the feedback/advice.

10. Sorry - forgot to ask. This is a questions for people who work in schools where part timers have come in on non-working days for Ofsted inspections. Do you know whether those staff were paid for the extra days or were given days off in lieu?

11. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I just swapped my days.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Given days off in lieu in mine, but I imagine it is something to negotiate with your HT.

13. I completely agree with people who say you should not be expected to come in on your non-working days (calling them 'days off' isn't accurate and gives the wrong impression), unless there is normally some flexibility working both ways (ie you are allowed to change your days for personal circumstances). I am amazed that some people seem to think you should go in on your non-working days. Of course, if you are asked properly and given a choice that is a different matter, but these people seem to think you are obliged to do it. Are they headteachers?

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No one has said 'ought to' just that if someone is going to cover the class it makes sense for it to be someone who knows them already.

For the good of the school and all that...

15. Minnie, reread the OP:
    Note: 'I have been told' and 'expected to come in'. Surely any answer to this post has to acknowledge that the HT is in the wrong, good of the school not withstanding.

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I apologise, I assumed this part was relating to posters here.

17. To be honest Minnie - I did. :)