1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Day pays for 5 hours out of 6.5

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by uu15926, Sep 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. uu15926

uu15926 New commenter

So my contract states that I am paid £16 per hour, and that it is for 5 hours a day, presumable because I do 5 x 1 hours lessons, or 6 x 50mins.

But I'm also asked to come in for 8:50 until 3:20 which totals 6.5 hours. And I've been asked to do Form registration.

It seems unethical to be paid for 5 hours when I'm on site for 6.5. It includes breaks and lunchtime. Some of that time I am using to check what I need to know for the lesson, so most of the time I feel I make a significant contribution.

Is this yet another means of exploitation? (Sorry to sound cynical, but I thought exploitation went out last century).

pepper5 likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm afraid exploitation and supply teaching tend to go together.

I was last on supply about 6 years ago - on one long term contract I was a full time teacher - did some form periods and attended a couple of parents evenings.

I got about £90 a day after tax.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  3. hankay

hankay Occasional commenter

I could be wrong but it seems as if your breaks are unpaid.

And you'll likely say "But I don't get a break! I spend my breaks planning and preparing!"

But that doesn't matter to agencies/employers.

When I was on my PGCE placement, I noticed that I was more than happy to linger and talk to students when it was break/lunch, but the department staff were always out there like a shot. I have a feeling that this is why.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I barely have breaks and lunches now as I tend to work through them so I can get out of school before the traffic builds up too badly on the busy roads I have to travel home on.

agathamorse and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Don't work in your breaks and lunch? If they are paying an hourly rate and the role requires you to work in those times then they will have to pay you. Or they could offer you a day rate to do the job required.

6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

This seems like one of those 'hourly paid contact time only' engagements. Hourly paid should mean exactly that!

agathamorse likes this.
  7. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I always expected to arrive in time, just in case I am expected to take a form and at breaktimes I tend to sit in the classroom to check the work for the next lesson, so the pay I accept , includes all these factors.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

When I did supply it was always paid for 5 hours even though the day is 6.5 hours, you don't get paid for lunch or break.

9. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Congratulations on getting some work.

Ethics is totally irrelevant to the level of pay you get. (I'm not saying it should be, just being realistic).

If you want to be a Supply Teacher don't get a reputation for grumbling. Agencies pay for 5 sessions a day, end of. If you're late you lose at least 1 session pay. If you're marking for an hour after school (Primary) and you're on lunch and break duty you'll get paid the same.

So, if you can't get a permanent job (recommended, you've just qualified) then grin and bear it and retrain while you can.

Moan on here, we're good at this, we've been there and had all the dodgy practices. But do keep your agency onside. They decide who gets work.

Supply is awful in some respects.

But there is an upside. Work in an awful school and you can leave never to darken the door again at day's end..though it works both ways. Look out for the joys of having a long term contract suddenly ending with no notice...

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Also, remember staff at the school you're in have absolutely no idea what you're paid and they don't care.

You will find most assume you have no idea about how to teach, that you're grossly overpaid and you have a telepathic ability to know every peculiarity of how that school operates and if you make a mistake it shows how stupid you are...

Some people are lovely, however. Mainly TAs in my experience..

agathamorse likes this.
  11. sojal

sojal New commenter

I was offered Cover supervisor at £60 per day (means net £35 after tax etc , petrol) 6.5 hours in school 1 hour travel So £35 for 7.5 hours =£4.66 /hour anybody interested? This is UK education 2020 !!

Jolly_Roger15 and agathamorse like this.
  12. hankay

hankay Occasional commenter

That is criminal.

13. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I am sorry to hear that, @sojal. Even worse can be when you find yourself working as CA in a class, the teacher of which is on long-term sick leave. You have to do the whole teacher schtick for shelf-filler's wages.

agathamorse likes this.