1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Day off when moving house?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nikkib_1986, Dec 6, 2011.

1. nikkib_1986

nikkib_1986 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm moving house on Monday. A colleague today said that I am entitled to a day off negotiated with the head to help me move. I have heard of this before but assumed it was unpaid and really need the money right now. They then said that I would be paid for it and it is an entitlement. Is this true?

2. nikkib_1986

Hi all,

I'm moving house on Monday. A colleague today said that I am entitled to a day off negotiated with the head to help me move. I have heard of this before but assumed it was unpaid and really need the money right now. They then said that I would be paid for it and it is an entitlement. Is this true?

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Check with HR at your authority, a quick phone call should do it, but I think it is general to have a paid day off to move house.

4. Check your contract. It's likely that you are entilted to a day - but at htree days notice the head may be a little distant with you. A lot depends on whether it's been generally known that you were in the process of selling / moving, or whether it's completely out of the blue......or if you're moving to be nearer work. All you can do is ask nicely.

5. nikkib_1986

Thanks for the advice!
    I am moving to be nearer to the school so hopefully that will swing things in my favour. I genuinely thought it would be after xmas when I would be moving in but things have sped up a lot in the last week or so, so it was quite unexpected. It's got to worth a try asking!

6. In our LA its only paid if you are moving from outside the borough area to inside of it, upon taking up a position - ie at the start of working somewhere (or later, for reasons of not being able to sell your house sooner or something), otherwise its unpaid - but as each LA is different, there's no harm in asking :)

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There's no automatic legal entitlement to time off to move house. It's up to each school/governing body to decide its own policy on time off in term time. Often these do allow a day off, and often it's paid, but not necessarily so. The governors policy may only allow it unpaid. It might be an automatic entitlement under your policy or it might be at head's discretion. You'll need to find out your own school's policy on leave in term time.