1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Day off sick - doctor's note?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ringarg, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Not at all well today, was sick through the night, so called into work this morning to tell them. Only second time I have been off sick ever. I'm also on PPA today, which is annoying because I could do with going in to mark books, but really don't feel I could make it at the moment still.
    Anyway, head has called me back requesting a doctor's note. Tried to call for an appointment today but can't get one, not sure what a doctor would actually say anyway, apart from keep drinking fluids etc.
    Pretty annoyed tbh, as the only other time I was off sick she didn't request one. Not sure if its because it's my PPA so she thinks it's a coincidence and doesn't believe me, or maybe she wanted me to cover some of the teachers who are striking (I'm not a member of one of the striking unions).
    Any ideas?

2. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

You can't get a doctor's note for a single day sickness, you self certify for the first 7 days
    see here
    Your Head is wrong on this one. Hope you feel better soon

3. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Guidance here from Birmingham LEA, many others are similar.
    http://local.teachers.org.uk/birmingham/reps/LEAguidance.cfm
    It seems that if someone is off sick on a strike day, they are requested to provide a sick note, (ie to prove that they are sick and not striking).
    I can see two issues with this: schools may not have written this into their absence policy, and therefore the policy should overrule the guidance? Secondly, the difficulty of getting a sick note from a doctor for one day's illness.
    Not sure what to advise, other than concentrate on getting better and sort it out tomorrow.

4. Thanks guys.
    I called the GP surgery, who said they would not provide one. Then my headteacher called me to say reiterate that I will need one because of the strike action, otherwise I will lose a day's pay. My problem is:
    1. I've already called, and they said no (but can try again).
    2. I can't get an appointment today with my GP anyway, so I'll have find a drop-in clinic, who I'm sure will say it is better for me to stay in bed (and near a bathroom) today, and there's no guarantee they'll give me a note.
    So looks like I'll lose a day's pay instead. I've never felt so distrusted by a headteacher, it's strange. Turns out I'm guilty until I can prove myself innocent (or fit until I can prove myself sick anyway) otherwise I'm getting fined a day's pay.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You will not be alone in encountering this problem. Let your union know, and indeed get the rest you need as you are off sick. I can't imagine any union supporting being docked a days salary for absence through illness.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Tell your head to phone the doctor's surgery!
    I could suggest a couple of other things to tell your head, but I don't supposse the moderators would allow it!
    P

7. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

we were told in advance that we'd need a doctor's note for having a sick day today.
    doesn't make it any easier to get one though!

8. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Ring the receptionist and explain the situation. Ask how much it costs to get a private certificate. Tell the school the cost as they have to cover it. Then if they say yes you can get one that way.

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

No they don't, not unless they've got a policy that says they will.

10. Torey

Advice is that employers should pay as it is not a requirement. However, as they are only £10.50 I don't suppose it is worth arguing over.

11. Rott Weiler

It's a requirememnt if an employers policy/procedures say it is! We require it at head's discretion and state clearly that it at emplyee.s own exense. Whose advice are you quoting?

12. Torey

British Medical Association whom I'd assume would be used to dealing with the situation.
    OP talk to your union if you're not sure what to do.

13. Rott Weiler

Since when have the BMA been experts in employment law? Can you post a link to this advice, I can't find it.

14. Hope you're better today but your head has a point. We were warned if we rang in sick on the day of the strike, our head would want a sick note. You were genuinely ill, mate, not everyone would have been! ;)

15. The only way to deal with a head like this is to go in when ill and ensure you vomit all over her desk. Unfortunately it's too late for that now, but I hope you get something sorted.