1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Day off for the Royal Wedding and part timers

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Chull, Apr 21, 2011.

1. I know that the posters who hasve already replied will know more than me. But, it might be worth you looking into as a teacher at our school was in exactly the same situation, so she did some digging and found that some LAs had published advice saying that, if a day was nominated for the royal wedding then part timers who normally would not work that day would be entitled to 1/5 of their working week off.
    Unfortunately, my LA has not published such guidance. However, my colleague went to our union rep, who said that an act of parliament had adjusted the number of days a FT teacher has to be avaiable for work from 195 to 194 this year, so a 0.6 teacher (which she is) needs to be available to work 116.4 days this year as opposed to the usual 117. Therefore, she is entitled to a morning off. Union rep took this to HT, who has now said colleague will, in fact, get a full day off. All happy and joyful.

As I say, I am not an expert, but would it be worth a try?

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Chull's interpretation is quite correct.
    In fact, lots of schools don't bother to look into the existing issues with part-timers and part-weeks.
    Take an extreme example. Imagine the school which starts every term on a Monday and ends every term but one on a Wednesday. No imagine the two random part-timers in that school, one of whom works every Monday & Wednesday, and the other works every Thursday & Friday.
    Now, for full weeks their workload is equal, but each time one of those part-weeks comes around at the end of term, the Thursday/Friday person doesn't work, while the Monday/Tuesday person does every time - meaning that by the year's end, the M/T person will have worked 10 days more than the T/F person for the same pay - which would, of course, be quite unlawful (equal pay for equal work and all that).
    Of course, in most cases such extremes don't arise, and most part-timers recognise that some years they might gain ,others they might lose, and don't worry too much about it. Often in primary job-shares (where the link is more obvious) partners will work among themselves to even up the balance.
    But, the significant fact is that where a part-timer is paid for, say, 0.5 of a full-timer's salary, then they can only be directed to work for that proportion of time across the year. That means, where teachers contracts have been slightly reduced this year, the part-timers directed hours should be reduced accordingly (pro rata).
    Again, many part-timers will just see this event as part of the peaks and troughs of the part-timer's lot - but that doens't negate the actuality of the issue.