1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Day off due to illness

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lorahjo, Mar 8, 2011.

1. I am mortified. I have had to take today off because I am ill, but more importantly I've completely lost my voice. Its the first time I've ever taken a day off from any school placement but I'm afriad it's going to reflect on me badly.

Has anyone got any tips on getting your voice back in a day? I have an observation tomorrow!

I know we're all human and this happens but I'm so embarrassed! I'm going to have to go out my way to grovel. :(

Do you know if I'll have to make this day up at the end of the placement or is it down to the discretion of school? Thanks.

2. I am mortified. I have had to take today off because I am ill, but more importantly I've completely lost my voice. Its the first time I've ever taken a day off from any school placement but I'm afriad it's going to reflect on me badly.

Has anyone got any tips on getting your voice back in a day? I have an observation tomorrow!

I know we're all human and this happens but I'm so embarrassed! I'm going to have to go out my way to grovel. :(

Do you know if I'll have to make this day up at the end of the placement or is it down to the discretion of school? Thanks.

3. Don't feel bad about taking a day or two off. You are unwell, you shouldn't be in school and spreading the germs, and you should be at home concentrating on getting better.
    Keep your school and uni informed of your condition, and only return to school when you are recovered. After a few days your uni may ask for a doctor's note.
    As for making up days afterwards, training providers build in extra days to cover such an eventually, so provided it lasts no longer than a few days, you should be ok. If extension is needed, it can probably be done by staying on a bit longer in school at the end of your placement.