1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Day 2 in new job and sent home with laryngitis.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ruthie66, Jan 5, 2012.

1. rest and lots of fluids (not alcohol!). I'm sure there are some old threads on here with tips for looking after you voice but I'm not sure how to search. I will see if I can find anything and will bump it up if I can.

2. I think laryngitis must be doing the rounds because myself and at least 6 of my collegues have had it in the past two weeks. The things that we found worked were honey & lemon, not talking and steam treatments (the old towel over head whilst breathing in steam from boiling water trick). Most of us shifted it within 2 or 3 days although we found that it came back a bit if we spoke too much.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes, the old steam treatment is good ,but most important is NOT to use your voice at all and definitely<u> not whisper</u>.
    Use notes to explain anything to family and give that throat a rest.
    Frequent liquid libations (yes unfortunately of the non-alcoholic kind!), gargling etc.
    When you do go back, try to use your (classsroom) voice as little as possible, plan activities in which children can act as 'teacher' giving explanations, use whiteboard activities and games etc. as much as possible,until the voice has got really strong again.

4. catherine_ann

catherine_ann Occasional commenter

Thank you guys for the advice. Ruthie, I read the other info that you kindly bumped for me :). Lara, thank you and I will take into account what you have said, (as I always have done on Jobseekers too!) and try to be quiet :-S Well I have almost survived day 2 of no voice and my school phoned to see how I was which I thought was lovely, as this would NEVER have happened at my last place. Going to stay quiet over the weekend and see how I go. Would really like to go back on Monday.

5. Just to back up what another poster has said, make sure you rest your voice completely, ideally give it around a week to make sure the infection has cleared. No talking, no smoky atmospheres, boozing and no whispering. Not playing to the rules with laryngitis can cause permanent damage which you obviously want to avoid.

I hope its not too painful, when i've had students with it i've given them a little whiteboard and pen so that they can communicate in class, might be worth utilising at home to force yourself to rest.

I hope you feel better soon.

6. That sounds pretty early to me tbh, I hate to be the bearer of bad news.

7. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Gargle (don't swallow!) warm water with salt in it. Do this several times a day. It always works for me. I lose my voice every year at least once. Don't go back before your voice is totally recovered or you'll end up making it worse again. Don't speak until it is fully better. It's very frustrating in teaching when it happens because your voice is one of your best tools, so you must rest it in the short term so that you don't damage it in the long term. Hope you get well soon.

8. Be careful about pushing your luck though!
    In my 3rd year I lost my voice for about 12 weeks! It has taken another 4 years (and an appointment with a consultant to rule out cancer) to be able to relax a little!
    As others have said: no whispering, lots of rest, lots of fluid and you could also grow a natty little line in scarves. From the end of October to Marchish I wear a scarf round my throat just to keep it a little bit warmer than it might otherwise be. I definitely notice a difference on the days I forget!
    Good luck!