1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

David Lloyd Gyms

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pinkflipflop, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Was going to post on H&W but thought I would utilise the heavier traffic over here on personal!
    Am going for a look round tomorrow as my physio has recommended I start swimming, pilates and a specific program for my knee strength.
    Was wondering if anyone was a member and how much it costs?!

2. Wait for it.
    I know someone who only plays tennis once a week, paying a reduced fee (OAP) and it still costs £80 a month. On top of that he has to pay £5 a week extra for an indoor court during winter.
    I guess the more you use the facilities the better value it would be though.

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

For some years I was a member of a gym in Beckenham, which was taken over by David Lloyd. I left a few years ago as I wasn't going sufficiently often to get my money's worth. About four years ago I seem to remember that it was working out at roughly £20 per week.
    At one point I quit earlier and joined a nearer gym - formally Canon's but latterly Nuffield Health. The facilities weren't anywhere near as good as the David Lloyd club. I subsequently left and rejoined David Lloyd - until I finally stopped going to the gym.
    If you are serious about going three or times a week I would suggest it is probably worth it. The range of facilities and quality of the equipment were first class.

4. smoothnewt

three or four times a week...
    (So from what Bev has said it looks like it is still roughly £20+ per week.)

5. I'm looking at going to at least 4 classes a week, swimming twice a week to begin with and some one to one on my knee/stability strength.
    I did have a look at our nearest council gym but it is really grotty and they are demolishing it soon to build a Tesco!

6. I go to a Village gym, which is £50-something a month. I don't think they're as well-equipped as David Lloyd, though this one has a nice pool, but there's a good range of classes, which is what drags me in. I only joined because our local council one is such a grot-hole, especially the showers.

7. smoothnewt

It sounds as though you'd be getting your money's worth. Certainly worth going along and having a look.

8. I belong to David Lloyd. I pay about £52 per month - but have a reduced fee because I'm old! I aim to go 2 -4 times a week for aqua classes, and there is a great range of other classes. We have an indoor and outdoor pool and a HUGE gym which I don't tend to use since i am walking the dog 2 hours a day. Have to say, I rarely used it when I was teaching 'cos I was too knackered to go after school and had the marking to do. The social side is good too. Hope it works for you!

9. Yes, the rackets membership is very expensive!!

10. We used to have a family membership (excluding tennis) at the Sidcup David Lloyd which was £110 a month - it was great and we really got our money's worth using the gym, classes and the indoor and outdoor pools (even in November!). There was plenty going on for the children. I was sorry to give it up when we moved.

11. Thanks for the responses.
    It seems like it will be worthwhile for me. I like to do about 3 dance classes a week, but at a cost of £5 a time it soon adds up. Seems to make sense to pay that bit more and have use of all the other facilities, particularly the swimming!

12. I pay just above £80 for my DL...I think its £83 or thereabouts- went up in Jan.
    Its fab! There memberships allow you full use of their gyms and pools as well as the tennis court.
    ALL classes are included- as many as you want and they go from 06.30am in my club to about 20.00 at night. Gym itself opens 06.30-23.00 though.
    Classes include Zumba, pilates, yoga, tai chi, spinning, yogalates, aerobics, step, running clubs, body attack, body pump, boxercise and loads more!!!!
    Mine also has a Costa Coffee, a bar, restaurant, adults only lounge and a kiddies play area.
    Most machines have own tv to keep you distracted from time on machine.
    Personal Trainers are very good and you get a couple of personal training sessions for free when you start plus free regular check ups to keep u on target.
    I couldnt recommend them more- I love mine. Like you PFF- my council gym was grotty and wasnt the place I felt I could shower in before work and leave "clean". At DL I can and its fab!
    Enjoy

13. Thank you for the lengthy reply sparky.
    Was expecting it to be around that amount and it is workable in my budget.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

One of the reasons I walk a lot is because gym membership is a luxury and not something that fits comfortably into a tight budget. I've now finished with cardiac rehab and I'd quite like gym membership (which, with the cardiac referral, I'd get at concession rate). Council and Fitness First both come in around £30 - almost justifiable (particularly with a concession) but more than that definitely isn't until finances improve.

15. Christalmightly. Above £80 a month for a gym memership? That's obscene.
    Even if you go every day and actually do make the most of it, it is still an absolutely HUGE amount of money.

16. I pay about £35 a month for peak time membership of Virgin. That's unlimited classes and gym use, and the option of having a new gym programme worked out every 6 weeks or so. I'm happy with that. Sorry about any typois; I'm on my second glass of wine despite it being a week night! (Shame)

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Glad it's not just me. I don't think I'd pay that much even if I could afford it.

18. smoothnewt

Well it is and it isn't, really.
    I gave up my membership as after seven or eight years I was simply bored of the gym routine, and had decided to take up running instead. My increasingly rare visits meant that I was just throwing my money down the drain.
    However, I have been shocked to learn recently (from my daughter) how expensive it is to use the facilities at our local leisure centre. Some examples - cost per session:
    Fitness class = £6.90
    Gym = £7.90
    Swim = £4.90
    Admittedly there are slight reductions if you take out membership, but these prices are still higher than I would have expected, perhaps naively.
    For a person who would go to David Lloyd four times a week, say, it is probably worth it, as the general environment is very nice (changing rooms, showers etc).

19. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Senior commenter

It's twice what I pay for DL membership. Charges must vary across the country. My membership doesn't include racquet sports, which saves a bit. It includes everything else, though. I also get a corporate discount because I work for the LA. In Scotland the LA is our employer rather than the school, so I'm not sure how this might work in England but it's maybe worth checking.

20. They definitely vary - when my ex moved in with me his Virgin membership doubled from £35 to £70 for exactly the same facilities.