1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

David Cameron

Discussion in 'Personal' started by linesmanforthecounty, Jun 3, 2016.

1. linesmanforthecounty

linesmanforthecounty New commenter

Is David Cameron toppling his own campaign, just by being David Cameron?

I imagine I am not the only one who saw David Cameron's first exposure to a public audience on Sky last night, and to me it was utterly cringeworthy. The highlight, at about 32 minutes in a young lady takes the PM to task for waffling and she is absolutely spot on! All the PM did through that programme was waffle and by the end it was obvious he was utterly out of his depth both as a speaker and a Prime Minister. This morning he was rather 'off' with a TV presenter too. Rudeness and obfuscation is all we get from him.

So my question is, is he harming his own campaign? I would vote to leave just to get rid of him as PM. His lack of clear answers shows that he is not telling us the truth.

Source=

Is it time 'you and your government went' as the lady says ay 36 or so minutes in, Mr Cameron?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

He has no conviction - or at least has had to bury it in order to lead a party split to such and extent by Europe.

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I suspects he regrets his promise, but then i expect he expected another coalition, giving him a get out.

The more i hear the more convinced I am for Brexit. Even comments from other EU leaders have helped persuade me.

what ever happens - it will get interesting.

Rathgarb, Shedman, nomad and 3 others like this.
  4. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

A very interesting first post from a new contributor who has clearly joined TES because of his interest in education.

asnac, sabrinakat and TES_Jenna like this.
  5. Geoff Thomas

If that were your sole reason for voting leave, you would be selling your country's long-term future for a few more short months of Hameron.

I don't believe you.

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. linesmanforthecounty

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

I disagree. I think personality is playing a far greater role in the referendum than it should. If I were swayed one way, then the prospect of continuing to have David Cameron as PM, after all his dishonesty, would tip that balance.

From last night's performance it is obvious why David Cameron has avoided public debate so far. He was clearly floundering, on the verge of being unstable. You see, rudeness is never a substitute for debate and as PM he should know better. I a looking forward to watching him flap and sweat in his next appearances.

7. wanet

wanet Star commenter

He made a big mistake claiming that he had got a deal for us were in reality he hadn't and what he got was minimal and had to give away a veto to get it.

I hope that someone else is in the hotseat if there is a Brexit negotiation to be achieved. That is my main worry!

Rathgarb, nomad and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. linesmanforthecounty

The deal was an utter joke. Had he acknowledged that and just left us to vote without all this obvious nonsense he would command far more respect than he now has. Instead he has show nothing but contempt for the people by trying to convince us that there is anything at all in that deal he struck.

9. CedricDaniels

CedricDaniels Established commenter

I think you will find it is other unmaned beuareacrats who do all the negotiating,

10. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Possibly, but he fronted it. Hope they are not the same ones negotiating Brexit. Otherwise we are in trouble. Who ever did it should be sacked for total incompetance.

Rathgarb and Shedman like this.
  11. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

I'm sure they'll be properly groomed. :D Love the play on words in beuareacrats. :cool:
    IMHO, there isn't a single leading politician fit to be in charge of a piece of used chewing-gum. I think one of the greatest surges in SNP popularity came when the Westminster bigwigs deigned to cross the border to campaign against Scottish Independence.

Geoff Thomas and sabrinakat like this.
  12. Flere-Imsaho

Bald bureaucrats?

Geoff Thomas likes this.
  13. ConorDeak

ConorDeak New commenter

The deal Cameron claimed he got was basically just lies. Because of that and his scare claims since then, he has lost any little credibility he may have had.

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

What we need are the plain and simple facts, not all this rhetoric and vague promises/threats. What exactly will happen if we leave or stay, that's what I and many others want to know.
    Is Britain capable of surviving on its own? Who knows and how long will it take?

Rathgarb, wanet, delnon and 1 other person like this.
  15. CedricDaniels

There aren't any. If there were they would be used.
    Nobody knows. If it was a fact one side would say. It's hope versus fear. Make your choice.

16. Flere-Imsaho

Nobody knows exactly. Yes. At least two years.

delnon likes this.
  17. asnac

asnac Established commenter

It's frustrating that there's a shortage of plain and simple facts, but this is because as @Flere-Imsaho says, we just don't know. And anyone who says they do know is a fool or disingenuous. For my part I'm an EU agnostic, but leaning towards 'Leave' at the moment.

Being in the EU is no guarantee of prosperity. Even leaving aside Greece etc., our neighbours right across the channel are in turmoil at the moment with high unemployment and a government unable to do anything about it. And plenty of countries tick along absolutely fine outside the EU. I've just done a count on Wikipedia: fourteen of the top twenty economies in the world are non-EU. I don't see why we shouldn't tick along as well as them, and at the same time have more freedom to act as we see fit.

Rathgarb likes this.
  18. Geoff Thomas

Can you imagine what state UK will be in by the time of the 2020 election if the tories have untrammeled power until then?

I can, and I am horrified.

All that is now public will have been privatised to the profit of the tories and their friends and paymasters, and we will have lost the civil liberties we still possess.

I tend to the view that the "debate" between the two wings of that party is no more than a front aimed at getting a leave vote so that they can go about their dirty business.

delnon likes this.
  19. CedricDaniels

Don't over imagine. You are falling for the fear-mongers' rhetoric.

20. There is nothing wrong with privatisation. It helps improve services rather than letting them stagnate as they did in the old communist bloc.

Rathgarb likes this.