1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

David Almond - what do young readers enjoy about him?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WhiteCoffee, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Have you used David Almond books with pupils? What is it about his writing that pupils love?
    I appreciate your help.

2. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

I have used 'Skellig' with both Year 5 and 6. The children loved it. His writing is unusual and deals with issues that children may have experienced in their own lives but there is also a huge element of surreal situations - allowing the children to use their imaginations. The story is exciting and yet moving.

3. Just out of interest, how do you get round the couple of swear words in Skellig if you are reading it together?
    I used it as a class read last year, not realising there were some swear words in it. I had to quickly change a couple of bits when reading out loud!

4. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

I just say 'blinking' or 'blooming'.

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I've used the swear words as written in the book. They're relatively mild. The odd bloody or b.ollocks. I don't have problem with this and have yet to have any complaints.

6. We had a complaint. I didn't read the swear words out loud, like the poster above I said "blinking" or something similar.
    But, one of the children in my class was enjoying the story so much she asked her mum to buy her the book so she could read on to the end before we got there in class.
    She was then reading it aloud at home to her mum, and read "b.ollocks". Mum went mad... headteacher went mad.... I was told the only reason I didn't get a formal warning was because, as I pointed out to them, I had actually taken the book from the school library and there were several other copies in there. Needless to say, they have since disappeared.

7. You are extremely unfortunate to have such an unsupportive HT. Banning a book because of a mild swear word is stupid. Not only should you not be formally warned, you should be congratulated for reading a quality book with your class. Change school - don't work for this idiot any more.
    I have read Skellig with a Y6 class and they loved it.

8. My HT is unsupportive in many ways, especially where parents are concerned. It's something I'm coming to live with, unfortunately, since full time permanent jobs are so few and far between.
    Not really the sort of experience you want to live through in your NQT year, though!
    Thank you! It won't stop me reading such good books, but I'm now very careful to vet them thoroughly first.

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

That's exactly the sort of **** we have to put up with in my school, along the lines of "the customer is always right". Every parental complaint is dealt with like it's a case for the Crown Court and the parent cannot be wrong. All in case they turn round and choose a different school, so we would lose funding.
    I have heard legends about HTs who actually support their teachers and send away parents with a flea in the ear.

10. Lardy, I too have heard tell that such places exist... but like you, my head teacher is a firm believer that parents are always right.