1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

David Abel has coronavirus

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

The cheerful blogger from the Diamond Princess

Hello David, I have deliberately put your name in this title so you find it if you are looking for yourself on line.

Sending you loads of love and support from the UK. I know you said at one point that you didn't want to be separated, so I hope there is some comfort that you are leaving for hospital together.

We are thinking of you

love and prayers

xx

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Mr Abel believes he has not got coronavirus. He is not going to a hospital but to some sort of containment unit with no access to phones or wifi.
    So it appears he and his wife are being silenced...................brought down by their own blog.
    This could be wrong...............I hope so, but I suspect not.

emerald52 likes this.
  3. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Yeah, he had a good innings (online I mean). Some other neighbouring states may have 'shut him down' sooner.

In some his 'account' may have been deleted alltogether.

I actually mean this in a good way. Each country has its own situations and internal problems with dealing with such situations. Sometimes ppl need to see the bigger picture.

(Never go on a cruise!)

4. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Isn't this guy a strong Tory supporter?

Wasn't he also complaining that the UK hadn't hired a plane to bring him home from his holiday?

Shouldn't he be outraged at this waste of taxpayers' money?

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The total number of cases aboard the vessel as of Monday was 454, the largest confirmed cluster outside mainland China. This number increases daily.

Either the infection spread before the passengers were isolated or the ship's quarantine procedures are inadequate.

Just because David Abel believes there is something suspicious in his treatment does not mean that there is. He is not being 'silenced'.

The spread of the infection is disconcerting enough without conspiracy theories complicating the issue!

6. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

And maybe it was right to leave people on a quarantined ship to prevent further spread. Not nice for those involved, but potentially better in the long term.

border_walker likes this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Some have said that the mistake was to quarantine the passengers on the ship, rather than on dry land: "From a virologist's perspective, a cruise ship with a large number of persons on board is more an incubator for viruses rather than a good place for quarantine," said Dr. Anne Gatignol, a microbiologist who studies viruses at McGill University.

"The decision to keep the passengers and crew on the ship is no longer ethical and is wholly inappropriate," Michael Mina, a professor of epidemiology and immunology at Harvard University, tweeted on Monday. "Clearly this has transmitted among them, placing all at unacceptable risk."

Crew members have been particularly at-risk, since they don't have private rooms. At least 10 staff have tested positive for the coronavirus. According to a New York Times report, those infected crew members had eaten in the mess hall alongside their coworkers.

8. BelleDuJour

Fair point.
    But if it does turn out he's been taken to some sort of holding unit with no access to phone or wifi there's definitely a rat to be smelt!

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I haven't heard of him.

But I hadn't heard of Caroline Flax either and that made me a bad person.

JL48, ajrowing and Burndenpark like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

11. BelleDuJour

12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I think he later corrected that to complain that it was a hostel with no medical facitlies (which is not entirely surprising as there is not much a hospital can do for him - he and his wife just need to be kept in better quarantine than that maintained on the ship).

Bad luck, of course, after they have been in quarantine for 12 days and thought they were soon to be cleared OK.

BelleDuJour and nomad like this.
  13. Burndenpark

14. Burndenpark

You honestly suspect the Saint Bris would try to silence him?

BTW
    From the Beeb story on him a few days ago...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51519687

But Mr Abel, who describes himself as a "staunch Tory", said he had "no confidence" in Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Speaking during a Facebook live video with his wife, Sally, he said: "When he [Johnson] just says 'keep calm, don't panic' - I'd like to see you in this situation, mate. I really would."

Mr Abel, who has become an unlikely celebrity as a result of his videos, went on to appeal to billionaire Richard Branson for help.
    "So, Richard Branson, I want to ask you a question, pal," he said in a video posted on Valentine's Day.

"If you and your family were in this situation, what would you do? And please don't say 'chill out, stay calm', that's not what we want to hear.

"I'm asking, what would it cost to hire one of your smaller planes, put all the Brits on board, no flight attendants, packaged food?

"Take us to Brize Norton, take us straight into the medical facility and let us do our quarantine there by people who can speak our language."

I know the answer to that I think- it would cost Branson around the same as it would cost Able and co to club together and do it for themselves- why should they want nanny state to look after them or expect to sponge off Branson?

15. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Would their travel insurance pay for repatriation? If not, why not?

JL48 likes this.
  16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Medical repatriation is usually only provided if there is no adequate medical facility in the host country or medical costs in the host country will prove more expensive than a repatriation flight.

Both quarantine and treatment for Covid-19 can be provided in Japan as effectively as in the UK. Just because Mr Abel wants to be repatriated to the UK so he can " do [his] quarantine there by people who can speak [his] language." does not make it a valid case.

Yes, I sympathise with his predicament but he has been given a soap box and is misusing it, IMO, and so is losing my sympathy. Fast.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  17. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I think he has coped amazingly well with being in a horrible situation.

18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

So has his wife!

JL48, Corvuscorax, ajrowing and 4 others like this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  20. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

He could have been quarantined on dry land but refused because (a) there was no WiFi; (b) he didn't want to be treated by people who didn't speak his own language and (c) he didn't want to eat Japanese food.

So... tough.