1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Daunted!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Giantsfan, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Hi all, finally registered on here after plenty of reading...
    Basically, myself and my partner are moving to Devon in the summer and she has been unable to get a job after completing her GTP in RE.
    We've sent her CV to a bunch of agencies, but I'm truly confused by the whole supply situation and can't seem to find a review anywhere of agencies in the south west. There does seem to be a council run supply pool, but they are no longer looking for secondary teachers.
    One agency got back to us for an interview - Randstad? - and they seemed very professional and have arranged an interview. It seems such a mixed bag out there, has anyone got any advice for the clueless!

2. Hi all, finally registered on here after plenty of reading...
    Basically, myself and my partner are moving to Devon in the summer and she has been unable to get a job after completing her GTP in RE.
    We've sent her CV to a bunch of agencies, but I'm truly confused by the whole supply situation and can't seem to find a review anywhere of agencies in the south west. There does seem to be a council run supply pool, but they are no longer looking for secondary teachers.
    One agency got back to us for an interview - Randstad? - and they seemed very professional and have arranged an interview. It seems such a mixed bag out there, has anyone got any advice for the clueless!

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Can recommend Teaching Personnel, I believe that your nearest office will be in Truro. Wait until you get your CRB back from Randstat though to save you paying two fees.

4. The agencies are all likely to offer to take her on, as most recruiters get commission, but it will be quiet at the moment due to the holidays and they won't be in a big rush.
    It's probably wise to register with a number of agencies (3/4). It will soon become apparent which ones are the best for her. Watch out for the reopening of the authority supply pool - it's likely to offer much better terms and conditions.
    Watch out for- payment for CRB checks (some agencies charge, some don't); arrangements for holiday pay (is it taken out of daily rate or is it on top of daily rate? - and be sure to redeem your holiday pay before it miraculously ceases to be); umbrella payroll organisations (decide what you think and find out what the agency options for payroll are); be aware you won't be paying into a pension (usually- check with agencies); she should decide if she is happy to be called in the morning for work that day or if she wants pre-booking only; she should decide how far she is willing to travel and how flexible as regards key stage etc. Obviously the more flexible the more work, but to build good relationships with schools only take on jobs you are confident to do; be aware of finder's fees which restrict the possibility of being taken
    on direct by a school where you have worked supply - ask what each agency
    does about them.
    I do primary, so hopefully someone else will respond with stuff about secondary supply - like flexibility over subjects taught etc.
    Good luck.