1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

daughters options

Discussion in 'Primary' started by asher6249, Aug 22, 2011.

1. hi, my daughter is looking to go to uni to complete a primary teaching course. She is currently studying Eng Lit ,History, Geog and Psychology at A level. She has to drop one subject for her second year and she wishes to drop Eng Lit. Her dad is not keen but i don't really see a problem if she is heading towards Primary as opposed to secondary. Any advice would be gratefully received
    Thanks

2. hi, my daughter is looking to go to uni to complete a primary teaching course. She is currently studying Eng Lit ,History, Geog and Psychology at A level. She has to drop one subject for her second year and she wishes to drop Eng Lit. Her dad is not keen but i don't really see a problem if she is heading towards Primary as opposed to secondary. Any advice would be gratefully received
    Thanks

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Does the psychology course cover aspects of child development and/or impact of external factors on children such as attendance at nursery/ childminders etc? If so, continue with this. I would drop the history as geography is useful to primary teaching, (a common weakness among primary teachers) I would encourage her to continue with the English Lit as it's a core subject.

4. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

I would let her choose. All of them are broadening her experiences and subject knowledge but only she knows which ones she enjoys/excels at.Getting the best grades for her chosen uni is important. Perhaps she doesn't like the Lit?

5. Hi,
    I would agree and let her choose the ones she most enjoys. However, I would encourage her to do a little research about the university course she would like to do. I did a degree followed by a PGCE - the entry requirements for the PGCE were that I had to have a degree in a national curriculum subject. The PGCE also asked for A-level subjects in national curriculum subjects - which I did not have!! I was lucky, as I had strong grades in my a-levels and my degree was in a core National Curriculum subject (english), so I still gained a place.

So... I would still say go for what your daughter is most interested in, but just to do a little research into the potential courses she will be applying for! If she is planning on doing a degree in primary education (as opposed to PGCE), the entry requirements will be different and I have no experience of these, so check this out.

Hope this helps!

6. I'd advise her against dropping the Lit. If she's going to drop anything, I would say the psychology is the least useful on paper (It might be useful in a practical context but people don't see it as a serious a-level unfortunately.)
    Lit, Geog and Hist would stand her in good stead as they are all National Curriculum subjects.
    Remind her that it's only 1 year she's got to put up with these subjects, and that teacher training for primary in particular is very competative so it might just be worth sucking it up and doing the best combo.