1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

daughter's first trip to London- recommendations please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lilyofthefield, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Comfortable shoes. Everything is much further than you think. Even getting an underground train involves a mile of corridor first.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Look on SRO audiences or applause store to see if they can watch any TV shows being filmed (free) x

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Lol I agree lil. We walked from tower bridge to London eye thinking it didn't look far. It was!
    Design museum is good but then that is my area x

4. Tate modern = free
    Saatchi = free
    Around saatchi is sloane sqaure = loads of great shops if she is into high fashion
    Just give her a load of cash to get drunk

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

these markets basically dont open till Sunday .You can walk around camdan of course...even go down to the lock and along the boat past the zoo and back(regent canal?)The zoo is expensive.
    Most places are expensive eg tower or wheel. but lots of shopping if she googles for events, Carnaby st and Regents street .....or the smaller shops of camdem.
    St Paul's is cheap on the outside...but costs to go in side as does Westmnister ,although she might get tour of the house of commons if she checks and books...but long queues.madan tausadds? is expensive and over rated.
    The cheapest is shoppng and just wandering..but as lil says ....its hard on the feet.
    they googling places to see or for free .you never know>

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I believe the underground is going on strike from Sunday night. There are booklets you can pick up at stations with 2 for the price of one entry if you travel by train. They get you into the zoo and lots of other interesting places.

7. I'd erecommend starting in Covent Garden, walking down through Trafalgar to the River, crossing over and walking along the South Bank to Tower Bridge. Can stop in at Tate Modern, go past the Globe, the Golden Hind, there's all sorts along there, its ace. And plenty of street performers and vibe.

8. tfl website journey planner
    what is she interested in?
    leicester square for cheap theatre tickets - better still, buy online before going
    look up time out london
    backpack with packed meal for first day and loads of bottles of coke and non-perishable snacks to avoid rip off prices when stocking up

9. meh -edit function not working properly - unless she wants a meal out for fun, stock up for packed lunches at tesco express etc - ditto bottles of coke - ignore previous
    can picnic in parks, in museums, at barbican, at festival hall upstairs

10. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Afternoon Tea at The Ritz is amusing.
    It might be booked up.
    You will probably have to pay for it.

11. A fit young 19 year old should be able to get around wherever she wants of foot and by tube, don't forget the buses though, she could get a weekly ticket. So many places to see that are accessible on foot, Buckingham Palace, down The Mall, St James's Park, all the other parks, picnics etc etc. Highgate cemetery is interesting, a show in the evening, Leicester Square for cheap, returns tickets. How about a view of all the new Olympic venue if she's into sport, Docklands light railway, Greenwich. Oh she'll have a ball!

12. oh yes - that's lovely - fortnum's is an alternative if ritz is booked - mandarin oriental as third choice

13. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

I agree - a teenager would love the vibe of Covent Garden and if you go across the pedestrian Millenium Bridge to Tate Modern you get a wonderful view of the river with all the buildings. A trip on the London Eye would also give you great views once you are on the South Bank.

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Tea in an overpriced tourist trap is a complete waste of money. Invest in day tube tickets so she can jump on and off without constsantly putting her hand in her pocket. Last time we went on the river to Greenwich (got a discount with our day tube ticket actually), walked up to the observatory for a fab view. Free galleries are fantastic as previously said. Went to Dalston in the evening for the Arcola Theatre which is in the old Reeves paint factory and was a unique and brilliant experience - cheap theatre in London, amazing. Go and look at the Olympic stadium in Stratford. Walk down the Regent canal from the very nice Victoria Park (great cafe) in Mile End to Broadway Market - very cool, or cross the river and explore Borough Market, also cool. Go into Southwark Cathedral - lovely. She'll need lots of money for food and drink because even a 19 yr old needs to rest her weary bones, but there's lots you can do free or not too dear. Look up online walking routes - we did one round the City of London - took us down lots of great back alleys we never knew were there. walk along the Thames Path south of the river. Walk round the iconic streets round Whitehall. She'll have a great time I'm sure. Give her a guide book so she makes the best of it.There is SO much that is fascinating and fun

15. I'm sure I paid to get into Saatchi. Having said that I can highly recommend it - it's amazing to go and check out the famous modern works of art like Emin's bed.

I'm sure someone must have mentioned these but the British Museum is a good couple of days worth of sightseeing and is free, as is the Natural History Museum.

16. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Does this 19 year old not have any ideas of her own about what she'd like to do on this trip?

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Aw, don't be a spoilsport. There's nothing as much fun as planning other people's holidays - it's all the buzz of anticipation without any of the harsh realities of actually having to go yourself!

18. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

I reckon planning your own is much more fun.

19. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

She needs to take a street map as well as a tube map. Sometimes, what looks like a long journey by tube, is a quick walk. By the time you have walked along all the corridors in the tube you can have walked there and seen a lot more besides. Buses are also a good way to travel and see a lot. A travel card covers the buses as well as tubes and trains.
    There is the London Eye for the views. A boat trip from Waterloo to Greenwich is a good way to see some different bits of London and they do a commentry for tourists. There is an indoor market at Greenwich as well as the park and observatory.
    The Tower of London is expensive but it is my favourite tourist attraction. Fascinating place.

20. Get her to google days out guide. it's a website with tons of 2 for 1 deals plus a wealth of info about places to go/see/do.