1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Daughter cannot find house share for final year of degree in Bangor!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mongus, Feb 13, 2011.

1. She is so distraught she is talkingabout coming home and leaving her degree! We are frantic here and feel entirely useless. Our two went to uni and they did not struggle like this. She is so shy though that is will be murder for her to start again without her two friends and they cannot seem to find anything together.
    Anybody know of any houses for rent in Bangor?
    Been on all the websites and she has ohoned around but to no avail. They seem to be five./four bedrooms and will not consider renting out three as they may end up with an empty room etc. She thought she had found one and deposit and everything was ready and then landlord rang and said given it to someone else!

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Can't the three team up with two others and look for a five bedroom house? All my best shares were with people I didn't know that well. Also, how about living just outside Bangor and commuting by bus or train, ie Llanfair PG or Menai Bridge?

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Does it have to be a student let? Can it not just be rightmove? x

4. Couldn't she advertise for Accommodation Wanted?
    I did this myself once and had lots of replies.

5. madwoman

madwoman New commenter

my daughter got herself a flat and then put up adverts to rent rooms at uni - soon snapped up

6. Thanks both. She tells me landlords will not let them just take three rooms fomr 5 etc without them finding people to live with and they don;t know anybody still not fixed up. Were put into pot for rooms several times but lost out in draws - apparently so many people looking that landlords pulling names out of hats etc.
    Did not think of rightmove - will look now! Thanks

7. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

shouldn't she really be doing this herself? i don't think i ever even told my mum i was looking for places to live when i was at uni as it wasn't really anything to do with her.
    if your daughter really can't cope with a final year at uni not living with her friends, she needs to talk to someone. that's not entirely a shyness issue! otherwise she's not going to manage when she leaves and gets a job, either. does she find change stressful?

8. I am confused ... where is she living now?

9. What I meant was they could advertise for a three-bedroom house.
    They could put up a few ads or advertise in the local paper.

10. If she really can't find anywhere, the Uni usually keeps some hall of residence rooms back for this eventuality. If she can't live with her two friends she can't. If that's the worst thing she ever has to contend with, her life will be truly blessed.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Moving in with friends can be over-rated - you tend to have more mutual respect between strangers. I speak from personal experience there. Having a few strangers in the mix would do no harm at all. My eldest who graduated last summer learnt the same way.

12. Aww, but it's a very big deal when you are at uni - poor girl - I am sure something will be sorted! Is she abroad right now or something? x

13. You and me both confused as to what she is doing now [​IMG]

14. I assumed she was doing languages for some reason and was in France/Spain? or somewhere warmer than I bet bangor is now lol!

15. in second year of degree at Bangor but landlord sold house so not available for this year. Only told two weeks ago after initial fever of house availability had already started.
    She does manage change badly and had a terrible time in halls in first year and struggled to settle in. Hence she is nervous about being with strangers again. First year was nightmare with two girls fighting/bullying constantly etc. Has afftected her confidence somewhat. She has been happy this year in private accom with friends but did not realise they would be made homeless. Current landlord did not mention anything. New landlord already has tenants.

16. Can she contact the people in the uni halls office? I lived there during my first and second year, so I imagine they do still cater for 2nd and 3rd year students. I often get emails about people wanting a house share, (I study at Bangor) maybe she could send out an email and do the same?? Other than that I would look into staying in the surrounding areas, Menai bridge is lovely!

17. They haven't been made homeless. The tenancy is coming to an end, that's all.
    When/if she starts work, she'll have to find accommodation for herself and cope with any problems while she is on a steep learning curve personally and professionally. Look on this as a gentle preparation.

18. so ... she is in accom that she has rented for this year and is being kicked out ... surely there is recourse

As to next year ... do people really search in Feb for houses in Sept?

19. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Yep. The best accommodation will already have been snapped up. Very little will be left by now!