1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dating advice...feel pathetic asking on a forum!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lucywag, Apr 11, 2012.

1. I've known him since I was at high school and he's always been in my circle of friends, although we've never been particularly close. The last few times I've seen him I've started to fall for him and we've got on really well. A few of us are having a day out at a theme park on Saturday including him. I'm too shy to ask him out and don't want to look silly if he isn;t interested and make things awkward but too many times I've missed opportunities because I haven't spoken up when I should.
    I know I sound like a silly teenager, but that's what my life has come to!!
    What should I do?! (please be kind, don't mock me!!)

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

See how Saturday goes and then if things feel right, go for it. The fact that you already know him quite well could be seen as a good thing - you know a lot about him, or a bad thing - if it's a disaster it will have knock on effects with your circle of friends. It shouldn't be a disaster though - at worst a minor embarrassment and it could be lovely.
    We expect reports.

3. Get pished and try to snog him. If he doesn't go for it then you can blame the booze. If he does, you have a starting point for talking about a relationship of some kind...

4. I agree with Airy. At least that way you won't have the searing embarassment if things don't go to plan... well, you will the following day but not at the time. What's another memory to repress, anyway? I've got loads.

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

And don't feel pathetic ... we just LOVE stories like this.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Especially during holidays!

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

And who says that romance is dead? [​IMG]

8. derekdalek

derekdalek New commenter

See how the land lies and take your chance if it presents itself. If he isnt up for it at least you will know. Good luck! And look fab so if he does turn you down he will kick himself!

9. Go on scary ride. Grab his hand during said ride. Forget to let go. If he doesn't move his hand away, good news; carry on flrting, brushing him, yada yada. If he moves his hand away, then you have a clue at least that he doesn't have a crush. Or if you are squished in the back of the car/ at the table/bar, let your hand rest against on your leg, touching his. He will move his leg away if he is uncomfortable, leave his leg there if he is comfortable or he will drop his hand to brush against yours if he wants more physical contact. At least, this was how things were 8 years ago, the last time I was trying to hit on a crush.
    Alternatively, get a little tipsy and flirt outrageously.
    Having a crush on a friend is actually pretty fun.

10. Alcohol.
    Just enough to be tipsy.
    Be aware though, that a friend is often better a friend than a boyfriend.
    My very best friend is male. We have often considered taking it further and decided not to. Twenty odd years on we have still not even kissed. We are still best mates.

11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I'd agree with the poster above that you should flirt as much as you can - men need to be very sure and will never be able to read little worded messages, whereas grabbing his c**k kinda makes it clear how you feel.

12. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Though don't do that on a scary ride - you might damage the poor thing.

13. Haha, thank you all for your advice and you've made me giggle too! Can't believe how nervous and excited I am - I feel like I'm about 14 again!! Next problem is what to wear...oh well will suss something out!
    Will keep you posted...wish me luck!!
    xx

14. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Haha :)