1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Date of resignation

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by The_Teacher1010, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Hello,

I am planning on resigning from my current post for the end of Spring Term. The last day of term is Friday 30th March but the last day of the holidays is Sunday 15th April 2012. The next term does not start until Monday 16th April 2012. So does that mean I can write that I am resigning with effect from Sunday 15th April 2012 as if I was resigning at the end of the school year it would effect from 31st August even though school finished in July.

Thanks. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

<font size="3">Taken from:
    http://www.atl.org.uk/Images/Burgundy%20book.pdf
    2.1 All teachers resigning their appointments will be paid salary;
    <ol>[*]at the end of the Summer term to August 31; or, in the case of a teacher resigning to take up an appointment with another employer to the day preceding the day on which the school under the new employer opens for the Autumn term if this be earlier than September 1; [*]at the end of the Autumn term to December 31; [*]at the end of the Spring term to April 30; or, in the case of a teacher resigning to take up an appointment with another employer, to the day preceding the day on which the school under the new employer opens for the Summer term if this be earlier than May 1. A teacher resigning his/her appointment with effect from the end of the Spring term to take up an appointment with another employer should not be required by the former employer to attend the first days of the Summer term if that commences earlier than May 1. </ol>If this doesn't answer your question then open the link for further reading.
    </font>

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Yes, I think that's very likely. If they insist on the end of April as your finish date, who knows if you might not be too ill to be in work for that last fortnight?!

4. Hi,

Firstly thanks for all the advice I have been getting on these forums. I would be lost without you sometimes.

I know people will tell me not to make big decisions but I have made the decision to leave at Easter as I planned earlier. I know people will say that I need to be well to make a decision like this but I have considered this carefully and I have sought help and my GPs and people helping me who talk to me on a regular basis know that my problems are due to work.

I am still of sick and yes I do have days where I am very anxious and down and usually those are days when I am contacted by someone at school or I think of school. The head is leaving me alone but I am scared of her. Since having no contact with her my panic attacks have stopped. I know I need to resign by the end of Feb and I am in the process of writing my resignation letter. I just don't know how to go about resigning while off. Shall I post it to school? I really can not face talking to her or really having any contact with her at all. Shall I email it? Or both? My biggest fear is that she says she didn't get it and expects me to return! I need to move on with my life and I can't do that while tied to that place! Please help.

I really don't know what to do. If anyone has been in a similar situation or has any advice could they please help me.

Thank you.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You write and post your letter - register it if you want confirmation that is has been delivered.

Best of luck for the future.

6. coppull

coppull New commenter

Go to the Post Office and ask for your letter to be sent via Recorded Delivery