1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Date of Birth on application forms

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Rednorfolk, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Rednorfolk

Rednorfolk New commenter

Just started to apply for a new teaching jobs, the first time for a few years, I notice that some schools are asking for date of birth, are they allowed to do that, I left my last one blank and I didn't even get a interview, is it a way to make sure you don't employ people over a certain age ?

2. Rednorfolk

Rednorfolk New commenter

before anyone says anything It should be an interview

3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Equal opportunities Vs Safer recruitment.

Safer recruitment wins...

caterpillartobutterfly and wanet like this.
  4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

most people don't get interviews for most applications, I don't think, so how would you know it was because of that?

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I think it is more likely to be to identify you when asking for references, etc, people have the same name sometimes, but not so likely to be the same name and DOB

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It doesn't really matter if the DOB is on the form or not. I think our LA keep them off the bit that actually goes to the recruiters but you can make pretty accurate guesses looking at the education and work history of a person.

If you missed out a section of a form, no matter what the section, you could be rejected on that basis. Fill in all the boxes if you want an interview and ask for feedback if you don't get them.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It's for safeguarding reasons - candidate identification and to ensure a full employment history is disclosed. The original DFE safeguarding guidance said;

For applicants for all types of post the
    [job application] form should obtain:
    full identifying details of the applicant
    including current and former names,
    date of birth*, current address, and
    National Insurance number;

*To ask for date of birth is not discriminatory. This information is required to ensure correct identification of the candidate.
    I worked for a company that decided all DOB information should be removed but as they still asked for full employment history since leaving school it was obvious how old an applicant was. Removal of the DOB box achieves nothing unless you also stop asking full employment history. And all the safer recruitment training I've done stresses it's vital for safeguarding that schools get the full employment history.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

They can tell how old you are by when you did your A levels/degree.
    They do not need a DoB for that.

9. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

My birth certificate is printed on papyrus....

10. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Anyone with an O level is 45 years plus (unless they are one of those bright boffins who did their O levels early), so DOB don't really matter.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  11. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

It really is just there because, as demonstrated above, it is a safer recruitment requirement...:)

Nothing sinister to it...

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Oooo you is poshe!

sabrinakat likes this.