1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Database merging advice sought.

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by gq52, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Sounds like you need an Apend query - open Access and hit F1 to bring up help,search for apend and follow the instructions.

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I got the impression this was a real world problem with no need for grade-based hoop jumping.
    Ockham's Razor ftw.

3. Can you please send me the table details so i can work on it . The efficient way is to have a Relational database, with one table where the data can be entered and exported or linked to the main database with other tables.
    Such as Event details table that has the following fields such as Event ID, Event and Athlete ID, Start time and End time. This table should be installed on all volunteers to enter the data. This can be imported in to the main database by the main database user.

However, if you can send me the structure you are using then I can see how I can help.

We teachers need to help each other.
    Please send your details to latha.nelapati@tekura.school.nz

Cheers
    Latha

4. Have you never been in an agreement trial where they say "If the project does not have Hoops A, B and C, it clearly does not demonstrate the real world?"
    My current (least) favourite hoop is CCEA's AS "any real-world database will include a graph". Really, that's what they said. Can I see it in writing - well, not in those words!

5. stdavsurfer

stdavsurfer New commenter

A relational database with a CSV spreadsheet would be the way to go. The spreadsheet would also have functions to allocate points to placings and to sort winners in ascending. The CSV file can then be imported into an event table with corresponding fields.

Final results are generated from the database and an update query used to merge data with the master table. Records in the event table would be deleted ready for the next meeting. An update query would be used to back up the master table to an archive file for historical referencing.

Note that only one person could use the database due to read/write permissions. Access 2007 does not support user accounts or group permissions anymore, although you can set Access Options to open Access 2007 in 2003 mode giving you access to these redundant operations.

Ideally the solution should envisage an MYSQL/Access database on a server with a data access front-end but this depends on the complexity of the solution.