1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Database expressions

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by purestrats, Feb 27, 2016.

1. purestrats

purestrats New commenter

Thinking of doing this as a lesson (50 minute lessons) and wondering if you guys have used any rich or high level questions i could ask, or indeed a challenging side task which keeps them on task?

cheers

2. NeitherMouseNorSock

NeitherMouseNorSock New commenter

No offence but....even the title sounds boring.

Could you expand a little.
    -Purpose
    -Age group
    -Previous Experience of the group

3. purestrats

purestrats New commenter

-Purpose - Getting the database to automate some fields rather than the kid having to manually calculate a profit, eg making an income field, outgoing, then a profit and manually typing in income-outgoing. I want to show them you can set up a database and using a form you can get the thing to automate itself.

then you can go into conditional IIF statements and have certain things applied iof some Yes/No boxes are checked

-Age group - 15

-Previous Experience of the group - built a database and just created records. Basically not even scratched the surface of what a database can do

4. NeitherMouseNorSock

NeitherMouseNorSock New commenter

Thanks.

Personally, I would progress with queries reports and basic forms first.

The automated features of forms always get them interested and it provides a nice link to the automated data.

Could you get them to work out the answers manually to some automated data. Then go on to a pre-made database to check the answers? Progress then on to making a specific calculation on a set field?

E.g. Todays date -7 days? VAT etc.

Disclaimer: I haven't taught databases in depth for 6 years but it's a similar approach to algorithms when programming