1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Data Task at Interviews

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by lilly123, May 4, 2019.

1. lilly123

lilly123 New commenter

I am applying for Head of Department jobs and I’ve had two unsuccessful interviews.

I always find that for the data task although I know how to analyse it, I don’t know how to set out my plan of action.

If there are any Headteachers out there who take part in interviews, please could you advise what a great plan or response would look like?

Lilly

2. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

I'm not a Headteacher but I've helped prep data tasks and we tend to give people unstructured data from SIMS and ask them to identify weak areas around the school. Essentially this involves finding ways to pick out target groups like SEN, PP, etc. Ask your current head for a practice interview too! Godd luck!

3. ICTgeek

ICTgeek New commenter

I've never had to do an interview data task but whenever I've been asked to do a data task by SLT I've always followed a SWOT model for creating an action plan.
    Strengths - Who are the students doing well? Are there any common threads?
    Weaknesses - What's holding us down? Where are the critical areas of improvement?
    Opportunities - Are there any "quick wins"? Groups of students who you know a tiny bit of intervention could make a big difference, especially with VA
    Threats - Who are the student on the borderline who could slip down? What can you do to help them?