1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Data protection

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ahoyhoy, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Is it legal for a school to produce a list of staff personal contact details, then distribute it to all members of staff without the permission of those members of staff? A breach of data protection law? Opinions and advice would be welcome. Thanks.

2. Is it legal for a school to produce a list of staff personal contact details, then distribute it to all members of staff without the permission of those members of staff? A breach of data protection law? Opinions and advice would be welcome. Thanks.

3. I'm sure it isn't legal. Permission would have to be sought. We operate a telephone tree for weather closures and each member of staff has to approach their link person and ask for telephone numbers, they are not published by the office.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Our telephone tree has names and a contact number on it for all staff. But no-one would think to make a fuss, it seems an efficient way of managing the tree. Also I can't see that anyone on our staff would use the details for malicious reasons, so am not overly bothered with them all having access to it. I think we were asked whether we wanted our home or our mobile number on it, but that was it.

I suppose it depends on the personal details shared and the reason for the sharing.

5. In effect, then, permission was sought.
    You may not be bothered minnieminx, but I'm sure you could envisage situations where a person could be very bothered about their phone number being accessible to everyone on a school staff.
    Besides, if the management felt it was OK to publish contact details without permission in this situation you can't guarantee that they won't publish in other situations.
    If shared without permission you might never know

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not one where the sharing of data was the main issue no! If we cannot trust our colleagues then there are much greater problems that need to be dealt with.

I can, however, guarantee that none would be published without good reason and nothing truly personal/confidential without my express permission.

Maybe I've just always been lucky...

7. It's not really a question of whether we trust others on the staff, it's about knowing that our details are out there, who has access to them, and why. You say:
    How do you know? If management are casual with confidential details and publsh them without asking permission how do you know they have not been published somewhere you are unaware of?
    I understand that you are very happy with people at your school knowing your details but the OP is not at your school. The rules that govern confidentiality have to be blanket rules, don't they, despite the fact that you personally don't care about them? It sounds as if the rules have been ignored in the case mentioed in the OP.