1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Data Protection in Schools

Discussion in 'Governors' started by MartinNicholson, Dec 20, 2012.

1. I'm looking for guidance on data protection, particularly on the duties and responsibilities of the Head Teacher and the Governors in this matter.
    I have read the BECTA document "Data Protection and Security - a summary for schools" which seems to be saying that schools need to register annually with the Information Commissioner.
    I wonder if this change has been picked up within all schools and what the implications are of what I suspect might be widespread non-compliance?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Registration needs to renewed annually and ICO website confirms that - hasn't it always been that way? It's just an annual fee to stay on the register really, it shouldn't involve anything more than sending ICO a cheque. I think the real reason for the annual renewal of registration is because the Information Commissioners Office is partly funded by the fees so needs annual re-registration to get an annual income! Or maybe I'm just being cynical. AFAIK the GB is formally responsible for ensuring its school is registered and renews its registration each year but in practice this is something the head will manage. ICO sends an annual reminder to the school so I'm not sure why there might be widespread non-compliance.

3. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Thanks grrmummy.
    The report grrmummy links answers your question about who is responsible:

"The data controller will be the school itself. (Technically it is the governing body, as the body corporate with responsibility for managing the school - but it is common, acceptable and more easily understood for notification to be done in the school's name.)"