1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

data handling - R/Y1

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by clairebear1, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Hi
    I need some advice, Im a little stuck on this area in maths; Data Handling. I have reception and year 1 children. I am wanting to do some data handling this week with my class, but I want to try and link it to shoes! Any idea? I thought about shoe size, but they wont know there size! Then i thought about showing them pictures and they have to choose favourite shoe or something. Im limited to ideas, please help!

2. Shoe size is usually on inside of shoe and/or on the sole...could you get them to find it?

Or maybe set up a 'shoe shop' and do favourite shoes or types of shoes for sale?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

How many have velcro
    how many have laces
    how many have buckles
    keep it simple

4. maybe a set of shelves cleared off and lots of shoes in a basket
    Children could sort them to all the black ones in a row on the top shelf, all the red ones on the middle shelf, all the blue ones on the bottom shelf- instant 3d graph. Photograph each way of sorting and ask children to label the photo- "graph to show...." over the photo, or a speech bubble shaped white board attached to the shelving to label? An idea that could run and run- could get children to make graphs of anything in your classroom, based on any topic- could make a data handling area, with your graph shelf as integral part. Can back up using notebook or another simple IT package with clipart pairs of shoes to line up in graphs... May have to try that in my classroom next week.... :)