1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Data for Beginners

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by rachelmoore27, Apr 12, 2016.

1. rachelmoore27

rachelmoore27 New commenter

I want to give my ITT trainees a 'Beginners Guide' to Data. Can you give me any pointers as to what to include? I have plenty ideas about FFT, Raise online, mark books, AFL etc. but I don't want to bombard them with too much jargon.

I am sure that these kind of resources would be essential for their first teaching post and interview and probably very useful to us qualified teachers who need a refresher!

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

You need to read Jack Marwood's blog if you don't know it
    http://icingonthecakeblog.weebly.com/

This is a good intro: http://icingonthecakeblog.weebly.com/blog/raiseonline-is-contemptible-rubbish

Your trainees would learn a lot from it if they were made aware of it too... although the content is probably a bit awkward for you. Data has been massively misused in schools.

rachelmoore27 likes this.
  3. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

I would imagine that it is essential to teach trainees to be critically evaluative of data; to understand the term data in its full meaning (as opposed to the reductive use of the term often employed in schools); to recognise the limitations, opportunities and ethical considerations that are posed by data in schools; most importantly to be able to professionally defend their pupils (and themselves) in the case that their future line manager has a simplistic understanding of data and a deterministic approach to achievement.

Could I ask what type of trainees you work with, as this seems a rather ad hoc approach to planning - are you school-based or university-based?

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Was going to say something similar. The stats behind the data mean that it applies to cohort rather than individuals. When it is applied to individuals the errors / deviation is large! If you are training others then I hope that you understand this!

jarndyce and fineliner like this.
  5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Was there a film that had the words 'lies and statistics, damned' in it you could use?

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

AFL versus AOL.Important to distinguish I think.

7. stargirl577

stargirl577 New commenter

As an experienced teacher in the US about to move to the UK and hopefully find a teaching position, this sounds amazing! Personally, I think getting a head start on the jargon would be very helpful. I've been doing a lot of research, but there are still many things regarding the UK system I'm trying to understand better. I'm pretty sure a lot of it is a case of calling similar pedagogical strategies by different names in our two countries. Having a guide to help navigate would be very beneficial.

rachelmoore27 likes this.
  8. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

You may want to spend some time on baseline data e.g. CAT / MidYIS that is used in schools. ALPS for A level subjects is also commonly used; certainly my school always spends a chunk of time in our September INSET looking at ALPS data

9. rachelmoore27

rachelmoore27 New commenter

I am school based. I am hoping some of this has been covered in University but my previous experience is that the information they have been given is so broad it's difficult to apply to specific school situations.