1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

data and SEN

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by badger18, Mar 13, 2016.

1. badger18

badger18 New commenter

Bit of a random question but it has big implications for my progress.I have a child in my class with SEN who is delayed developmentally (working at 22-36 months).

My head has given me a target of 70% for GLD this year to build on last year My problem is this...my class in small and although the child is making excellent progress she isn't going to make GLD, and no one is expecting her to. However she is about 7% of my class! Should I be allowed to exclude her from my data? or does SEN just not work like that....

2. curtism

curtism New commenter

I would say 70% is quite a big ask - the National GLD percentages run at around 66% in 2015 (nearer 60% in 2014) - what were your results last year and from where has the 70% figure been plucked? In reality you can't just omit SEN from your results because they bring your percentages down - they have to be included. But this shows the blunt instrument that is end of year data: what you will want to show interested parties is a good improving trajectory for all children regardless of results so focus on what she couldn't do at the start of the year and what she can do now, then explain it. On the side, it would be pretty easy to do results including her and excluding her, to show your head - but you can't go round in circles talking about 'what if's' - what if that really able child didn't leave at the May half term minutes before I could include her in the data? what if I didn't suddenly inherit a very ill child who has a poor attendance record or a traumatised refugee - it's just part off the mix.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

One head complained to another that the child who had moved between their two schools was going to bring their results down by 4%. The response was that whilst she might account for 4% of their cohort, she'd been 20% of the cohort in the previous school.