1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Data analysis task - practice needed

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by blueskies31, Feb 17, 2016.

1. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

I am in the process of applying for a DHT post and I'm anticipating a data analysis task as part of the interview process. I'm a little rusty as have been out of a leadership post for 2 terms. Does anyone know if there's anywhere I can get my hands on a practice task? ( I'm currently working as an SpLD teacher). Thanks

2. veneris

veneris New commenter

Not terribly helpful perhaps but it's worth knowing that data tasks vary enormously. It's difficult to predict what the task might be. Probably the best way to prepare is to make sure you are really, really familiar with various types of data so you can interpret a strange set quickly. You might be asked for strengths/weakness or to identify trends, or for an action plan of how you would address what the data shows.

RaiseOnline is a popular one, as is giving you the school's own tracking system. Try to get hold of some examples of these to familiarise yourself. It doesn't matter if the tracking system you are given looks different to one you've practised with - it's the interpretation that matters. Also be very familiar with implications for Progress 8 etc in any set of secondary data you're looking at. And of age related expectations for primary.

wanet likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

helpful post from @veneris.

Why not ask whoever it is in your school who does data analysis to give you a little tutorial, using your own school's data?

But before you get to interview stage - have you been to Jobseekers Forum and found the large number of advice articles on applications?

If not, tag me @TheoGriff on Jobseekers and I'll give you the links.

Best wishes