1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Darcey Bussell - More time for PE on timetable

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...much-time-pe-they-do-english-and-maths-darcey

Oh dear, another 'sleb' attempting to shoehorn more of their pet subject into an overcrowded, academic curriculum.
    Where do the staff come from? Where do the resources come from? What other subjects lose curriculum time or do you expect schools to lengthen the school day? Is Darcey going to cough up some extra cash to build the facilities needed or pay for extra staff?

Darcey, just stick to your inconsistent judging on your fifth-rate 'dance' show and shut up about things you know nothing about..

BetterNow likes this.
  2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

3. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

Exercise is enormously beneficial, but that doesn't make increasing the number of PE lessons any less difficult. I agree with @Shedman that there are many difficult questions that need an answer before the easy decision of extra exercise can be made.

Shedman and BetterNow like this.
  4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Primary children should just be playing out more. Secondary children should be banned from coming to school by car. We don't need more scheduled exercise, we need to get it back into our normal lives.

5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

In most places where I've worked, PE facilities were always in use by one group or other. Which means that more space would be needed to put more PE on the timetable. Shame they wanted to sell off all the playing fields or it might have been easier.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

And that would be enforced...how?

NB Not all secondary school pupils live on bus or train routes, near the school....o_O

7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I totally agree with you, exercise is very beneficial and I do not dispute this. My issue is that the likes of Darcey Bussell come up with these bright ideas with little appreciation of how they can be managed or implemented. The problem is some fame-seeking, self-serving 'celebrity' comes up with ill-thought through brainwave and the government takes them seriously and then it becomes policy. Remember the ludicrous Lord Puttnam of Crapfilms came up with his whizzy teaching awards scheme and then ended up as head honcho of the much derided and despised GTC!

8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I remember back when John Major was prime minister, early to mid 90s, and at that time the government were advocating 5 hours of competitive sport per pupil per week. I've mentioned this in these forums before and other posters remember this initiative as well. I actually wrote to the government at the time pointing out that they would need to at least double the number of PE staff in schools and stay open until late in the evening because their wouldn't be enough playing fields or gym facilities. Needless to say, I didn't get a reply and, like most government big ideas, it died a death.

JohnJCazorla and TCSC47 like this.
  9. Doitforfree

All the pupils at our local secondary school live in the village, so within a mile of school, or they get a bus from the outlying villages. Lots of schools have similar arrangements, yet a huge number of parents drive their children right to the gate. It's mad. It's no wonder they're all so fat. And then the school sells them pizza at break. When I protested, the school's response was that the pizza was very popular.

We need more exercise in our normal lives and less unnecessary eating. The more we divorce exercise from normal life and make it a thing that you do specially, in a special place or a at a special time, the less we will do it. And the obvious place to start is getting to school! It wouldn't hurt to discourage, rather than encourage, the selection of a school which isn't in walking distance. I'm really active but I hated PE and got very good at avoiding it. Once I was no longer in the horrid atmosphere of school PE I chose to row, play badminton, cycle and go walking. All school PE did was make me think exercise was appalling, but once out of the weird world of school PE I discovered exercise could be good, and that I already did lots only it wasn't competitive games so I hadn't even realised!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    TCSC47 and Shedman like this.
  10. Doitforfree

I had a friend who one day a week drove her children to school because otherwise she couldn't get to her exercise class in time. It didn't seem to occur to her that she could have just walked them to school then run home for free and they'd all have been better off in every way! But she had compartmentalised the exercise into a special thing.

11. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

I used to hate PE and so did many of my friends. If the hours increased they would have just made up more excuses as to why they couldn’t take part, or just walked the 800m instead of run. More PE won’t solve all our problems and it will create far more. Attitudes need changing first.

12. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

The very expensive private schools offer this much sport. Effectively, a young person today in a modern academy, just teaching to the test, is going to have such a limited curriculum in comparison to their privately educated peer.

13. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

I don't think anyone disputes the benefits of exercise. What is very much up for debate is whether school PE contributes anything to developing lifelong positive attitudes to exercise. Certainly none of the exercise I undertake involves activities taught during PE lessons.

SomethingWicked likes this.
  14. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I recall our timetable bring changed to reduce lunchtime read from one hour to 30 min. That hour when kids were playing, running about etc, but a few causing trouble resulted in the break bring shortened.

chelsea2 likes this.
  15. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Agreed! As to how we enforce this, making it damn near impossible for parents to park near a secondary school would be a start. Also, no secondary children within 5 miles of their school should be given free bus passes: they should walk or cycle.

MrMedia likes this.
  16. moscowbore

moscowbore Established commenter

Just something else which is now a teacher's responsibility.

Shedman likes this.
  17. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Let them have their phones on them only if they cycle in. You’d get a 100% take up. ;-)

18. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

So you want kids to walk in the dark for an hour and a half from age 11, down single track roads with no pavement in 70mph winds, hail etc. Think before you write, please.

WJClarkson and nomad like this.
  19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

In primary, we used to be able to fit more PE into the timetable - and art, music, DT, etc. Then came SATs tests and league tables, and schools have ended up teaching English & maths, English & maths, English & maths.....Other subjects - especially those which involve little reading & writing - have been gradually squeezed out. PE is one of those which has suffered.

Get rid of SATs & league tables, and pupils might then experience a 'broad & balanced' curriculum once again, including decent amounts of PE.

20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

That goes for men over 50 too. Just as much in need of exercise.

I presume you cycle everywhere?

Shedman likes this.