1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Danny Baker fired by BBC over royal baby chimp tweet

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, May 9, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Broadcaster Danny Baker has been fired by the BBC over his "stupid unthinking gag" on Twitter about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's new baby. The now deleted tweet, which has been circulated on social media, showed an image of a couple holding hands with a chimpanzee dressed in clothes with the caption: "Royal Baby leaves hospital". The 5Live presenter was accused of mocking the duchess's racial heritage.

Good! :D

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Good. I see no justification for his employment to be continued.

bonxie, grumpydogwoman, InkyP and 4 others like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

He always has been a total waste of space.

peter12171, grumpydogwoman and nomad like this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I preferred my Archie photo:

[​IMG]

NB H'e the one without the pipe!

HelenREMfan likes this.
  5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Stupid idiot - perhaps there should be an intelligence test before people are allowed to use twitter. Or may be it should just be shut down.

mswisdom, peter12171, dleaf12 and 4 others like this.
  6. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Lead commenter

"Unthinking" is indeed the word - Danny Baker clearly didn't think through the implications of using the picture of a chimpanzee where someone of mixed race was involved. So many modern Internet problems stem from people pressing the "Send" button first, and thinking about it afterwards.

les25paul, chelsea2, TCSC47 and 3 others like this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Absolutely!

I live in hope that Twatter and Faecebook just turn out to be short-lived social phenomena like CB Radio was in the 1970s.

Maybe I should train as a lawyer. The fact that posts are always held on record, despite the fact that they may be deleted from public view would provide a goldmine of opportunity for a determined lawyer to dig out and initiate lawsuits.

8. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

Incredible. The BBC did absolutely the right thing. I don't believe it was unthinking for a moment - he knew what it implied, I'm sure.

9. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Idiot!! :rolleyes:

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  10. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

How long was CB popular for? Facebook has been around about 15 years (I was using it in 2006 after many of my friends were)

11. MAGAorMIGA

I don't. I don't believe Danny Baker did think at all. Unfortunately his "humour" was aimed at a woman subject to constant veiled racist abuse and demonisation. His defenestration was inevitable and well done the Beeb.

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I actually don't think he did. But it was stupid, that's for sure.

chelsea2, mothorchid and Jamvic like this.
  13. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

The latest money-pit is to be named 'Archie'? Not Archibald?

14. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Unless he is a ****** of the first order he was most certainly aware of the implication of what he said and as much as my impression of her isn't good I think the comment and now the subsequent fuss must be very hurtful. I personally do not feel that this is a marriage destined to last and most of events in recent times have made me feel some unexpected sympathy for Harry (including a post on here post the birth of their baby and a reference to a 'grandfather' - which I thought was in very poor taste)

I hope Baker never works again as I would hate to think of any of my licence fee contributing to his lifestyle.

15. MAGAorMIGA

Although Danny Baker tweeted a sincere apology, he appears cross about the decision to fire him:

"Baker has since taken to social media to criticise the BBC's decision saying: "The call to fire me... was a masterclass of pompous faux-gravity."

"Took a tone that said I actually meant that ridiculous tweet and the BBC must uphold blah blah blah," he added. "Literally threw me under the bus. Could hear the suits knees knocking.""

Could be more contrite.

16. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

No sympathy. He shouldn't have said it.

needabreak, InkyP and TCSC47 like this.
  17. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I think it unlikely that Mr. Baker, a national broadcaster in good standing, was making a racist jibe.

Why do people see a juvenile chimpanzee and automatically think of a mixed-race baby?

18. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Now that the BBC have fired one of their puerile DJ's why don't they go the whole hog and fire them all? They are all pretty much a waste of space and air time.

needabreak and grumpydogwoman like this.
  19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Bit of advice: call him Rupert, it fits, and besides it’s a good name. Don’t be calling him Fred or Archie, with all its cheeky but lovable working class scamp connotations, unless you really do have plans for him to spend his life in William Hill’s waiting for them to weigh in at Newton Abbot.

Mr Baker is a decent bloke as people who have known of him for a long time will be aware. It was just a daft thing to do. Surprising for such a sharp and intelligent man. I didn't make the connection to race when I saw the picture.

20. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Yep.

Never mind any racial connotations, it is simply a horrible comment to make about any baby.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    blazer, knitone, HelenREMfan and 4 others like this.