1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dangerous Attraction In The Classroom

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sbkrobson, Jan 22, 2020.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

A new craze seems to have busted out at work, namely bundles of tiny magnetized ball bearings. Each lesson today I spotted three or four children fussing about with them, and I had to remove two or three because of deviating focus.
    The kids have also been using them to wind up senior staff by faking "too many" ear piercings, and-this is where it becomes perilous-nose and tongue piercings by placing another small magnet on the inside or back of said body part.
    Am I slow on the uptake here? I wondered if this is happening in other schools too, or is it simply that one of our kids has obtained a whole load of them? Tiny tiny spherical magnets,maybe 4-5 mm.

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

When I saw the thread title I was expecting to read about a personal relationship problem.

caress and nomad like this.
  3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

emerald52, caress, blazer and 4 others like this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

caress and TheoGriff like this.
  5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

They can be extremely dangerous. Some children swallow them accidentally, and I can see others doing it deliberately or persuading others to do so.
    when swallowed, magnets can end up in different parts of the intestine and can be attracted to each other as they pass close by. They then bore holes in intestinal walls as they try to get closer.

caress, emerald52 and alex_teccy like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Haven't got to us yet.

We've already had one catastrophic accident this week - we don't need any more