1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dance teacher looking for advice

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Estina, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hello my name is Estina and i have been working as an unqualified teacher,community sports and dance coach, cover supervisor and teaching assistant for 6 yrs. I have a BA in dance which i completed in 2005. I first applied for my PGCE in 2007 and everything went well however i was advised to gain more class room experience, so i went away and came back in 2009 and applied for a GTP. This is where my horror begins. I found a employing school and was given the interview at the university and then the university said i wasn't "the right kind of candidate". The school which i had acquired then gave me a years contract as an unqualified PE teacher, which was wonderful and i enjoyed it so much, however since then nothing has worked out. I applied for my PGCE again after the year at the school, however yet again the university said no, I have worked for various teaching agencies and independent companies where my efforts have been praised highly but i cant get a full time job. I then went to seek advice and was told by the TDA that because i don't have a 1st class degree there is no hope i will ever become a teacher in this country. So now i'm very lost. I am 28 soon to be 29 and I feel like i have wasted my time. I have been given the opportunity to work in china for a yr teaching English as a foreign langue, when i looked into it, the company seemed fine however i would really like to work in the independent schools but don't know if i can without a formal teaching qualification. Then my main concern is that when i come home i still don't have any career prospects here. I have no idea what to do because i am currently feeling very isolated from my peers, i don't feel i can make plans I have no idea what the future will hold and frankly that really does worry me. If anyone has any advice, all responses will be appreciated Thanks Very Much. I really need some advice

2. Hello my name is Estina and i have been working as an unqualified teacher,community sports and dance coach, cover supervisor and teaching assistant for 6 yrs. I have a BA in dance which i completed in 2005. I first applied for my PGCE in 2007 and everything went well however i was advised to gain more class room experience, so i went away and came back in 2009 and applied for a GTP. This is where my horror begins. I found a employing school and was given the interview at the university and then the university said i wasn't "the right kind of candidate". The school which i had acquired then gave me a years contract as an unqualified PE teacher, which was wonderful and i enjoyed it so much, however since then nothing has worked out. I applied for my PGCE again after the year at the school, however yet again the university said no, I have worked for various teaching agencies and independent companies where my efforts have been praised highly but i cant get a full time job. I then went to seek advice and was told by the TDA that because i don't have a 1st class degree there is no hope i will ever become a teacher in this country. So now i'm very lost. I am 28 soon to be 29 and I feel like i have wasted my time. I have been given the opportunity to work in china for a yr teaching English as a foreign langue, when i looked into it, the company seemed fine however i would really like to work in the independent schools but don't know if i can without a formal teaching qualification. Then my main concern is that when i come home i still don't have any career prospects here. I have no idea what to do because i am currently feeling very isolated from my peers, i don't feel i can make plans I have no idea what the future will hold and frankly that really does worry me. If anyone has any advice, all responses will be appreciated Thanks Very Much. I really need some advice

3. Where are you based? I did GTP with North-West and Lancashire Consortium a few years ago, and I only have a 2:1

Good luck!

4. Sorry to her it's been such a complicated route, Estina.

I'm just wondering whether you ever got any feedback from your uni interviews which might help you with future applications? I know a lot of people who haven't managed to get on PGCEs and GTPs and it can sometimes seem quite random.

I think it is true that independents will sometimes take people on without PGCEs and I know colleges used to, but I think that might be changing. (Sorry not very helpful!) That might be a way in?

What happened at the school? Were you just there a year? I'm just wondering whether there was anyone there who helped you with the application and interview prep?

I know plenty of people on PGCEs this year and last who were awarded 2:1s. As I understand it, it's quite hard to get on with a 2:2 - not sure what you got.

I hope you manage to find a way in. Keep applying and keep trying to get more classroom experience.