1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dance lesson ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Hopeful!, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Does anyone have ideas for lessons either linking to minibeasts or the Queens Jubilee. I though there would be lots of stuff on the net but after what seems like hours of searching I'm not exactly inspired!
    Thanks

2. Does anyone have ideas for lessons either linking to minibeasts or the Queens Jubilee. I though there would be lots of stuff on the net but after what seems like hours of searching I'm not exactly inspired!
    Thanks

3. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

- flight of the bumblebee? Contrast with some with very slow tempo to be snails?
    - use book The Ugly Bug Ball as stimulus then learn some ball room dancing? This could then link onto the Queens Jubilee
    - a marching based dance inspired by the changing of the guards? In fact there's a song about this I think
    - some form of street dancing, people may have street parties to celebrate?

4. Fur

Fur New commenter

There is also a song called the Ugly bug ball - no idea who its by but have memories of dancing to it in my youth!

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

What about using the way that mini beasts move as a stimulus? I would have thought that you could get plenty out of words like creep (make fingers, arms, legs creep etc), shuffle, fly, weave, buzz etc. Groups could have a beastie each, pairs make up routines and teach them to each other? How about an army of ants for a whole class dance? Failing that, what about the beastie boys? ;) . jubilee - what about a walking dance - there's plenty of 'royal' music around, like handel's music for fireworks, or you could find out what the queen had played during coronation? Or you could look at a recording, single out some key movements and go from there? Helps?

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

7. marlin

8. marlin

9. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

What age group is this for? BBC Let's Move has just had a series of 3 lessons about minibeasts that are suitable for younger children - or could give you ideas for planning your own lessons for older children.
    I was going to check if they're still available as a podcast, but I can't get onto the BBC site at the moment.

10. marlin

11. marlin

Snap! I was busy finding the links as you posted! [​IMG]